Generator Battery Control Module anyone??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PocketszBeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The last few weeks I've been having to jump start the Tahoe almost daily..there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to what helps not kill my battery overnight. Along with this issue, my charging system gauge jumps from below 14 to above and my lights dim like the system is surging. My dad had a buddy come and hook up to the battery and it has a draw somewhere, but he literally pulled every fuse and it was inconclusive. I found a video on youtube from a guy saying that it was this part that is on the negative battery cable is called a generator battery control module and he disconnected his then everything seemed to go back to normal, but his check engine light was on. He left it disconnected until he sold the truck, but I don't want to just disconnect it when I have no idea what it is.

I have a co worker that has 3 trucks similar to mine, but he said that none of his have this part. He stated he thinks it has something to do with the fact that his trucks are a vacuum brake system and mine is hydro-boosted. It is literally making me crazy. I just want to walk out and hit the button to unlock my truck and it starts right up...not have to become a professional jump starter

OP
OP
PocketszBeast

PocketszBeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d say the same, but I’ve put 2 batteries in and my dad replaced the alternator 3 times thinking it may be that.

Camarochief

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the diagnostic connector under the dash, do you have anything plugged into it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can unplug the sensor on the ground cable to see if the drain goes away, it won't hurt anything, you may or may not get a cel or service charging system message, either way it won't hurt anything to try it, if the drain goes away then just replace the sensor/ground cable.