Gears...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04YUKON

Reaction score
I have a question for you all that may have swapped out the rear end gears...
im working with an 04 yukon 2wd, 4.8 liter...
the truck is dropped with a djm 5-5 drop and rolls on 24's with a 305-35-24
equiv... to a 34" tire,,,
My problem is that im am moving from south florida to seattle wa. and am haulin a 23' wake boat. added weight im guessing is in and around 4k...

the last time i tried the haul to mi i was only able to maintain 70 mph in 3rd gear. and the rpms up... then the mountains... i had to dn shift to either first and second and crawl up the mountains... also fuel... i prob. got about 250 miles per tank...

im in need of power and i hear gearing is part of the process...
im considering an sts turbo to help but need help on the rear-end.
what gears... what adv? what dis adv????
4.30???
4.56???

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about finding a cheap set of stock wheel on CL just for the trip? stock tires are 30-31' depending on the options.

i am in south florida also. there are tons of stock 16s with good enough tires to make it the one trip. like $150-200. wouldnt be the coolest look ever but it will get you there with no problems. if it was a couple months from now i would sell you mine but im not ready to get my wheels yet.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
305/35/24 should work out closer to 32.5" o.d.
If you want to boost the motor for towing, I'd go with a roots or twin screw blower rather than a turbo to help with your low-end tq. I'd suggest trying 4.10 or 4.30s. They aren't as deep as the 4.56, which may help slightly with fuel consumption during hwy trips, yet still deep enough to help while towing with the larger wheel setup.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I would say a 4.10 espy since you only have a 4.8L but JK would know better then Me. also a tune and or a hand held programer to let your trucks computer know what size tire and wheel and rear gears you are running.

I am lowered with stockers and have 4.10s and they are great. but I started with a 5.3L and built it and the tranny and the Tourqe converter.

JK what about also upgradeing His tourqe converter?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JK what about also upgradeing His tourqe converter?

I wouldn't go too high on the converter if towing a lot, especially in hilly areas. A looser converter usually creates more heat, which is worse when towing heavy loads.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with Jeff, the 4.8's like to rev, I say 4.30's with that tall of a tire.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the purpose for full time use or just for the trip? stupid me. i read as just for the trip. why obviously all that trouble of gears wouldnt be gone through for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOC1583