Gear ratio suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmackiniv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1996 GMC Yukon SLT sitting on 35/12.5/15's and I was wondering if replacing the stock gears with a 4.56 gear ratio would make the gas mileage worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you'll have better pickup and go :D I know people have said with bigger tires, if you don't re-gear your torque converter next locks which can cause havoc on the drivetrain.

OP
OP
pmackiniv

pmackiniv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whatever the stock gears are. I'm pretty sure they're 4:10.

OP
OP
pmackiniv

pmackiniv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I stand corrected then.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

stock 4.10's my ass. you either get 3.42 or 3.73 from the factory.

What would you say about rehearing the torque converter fo stock gears like that?

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

What would you suggest for researching particular types of GMC models that would have bigger rear end doffs? I'm looking to find one out a junk yard.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideal set up for our trucks with that size tire are 4.56 or 4.88. And Sunlit is right on the gears you most likely have. 3.42 or 3.73 is stock set up.

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't regear a torque converter. You can buy different TC's for different stall speeds to help bottom end get up and go but with a low ratio will cause stress on drivetrain with big tires.

Also pmackin... I posted some helpful info on your other thread regarding axle ratios and RPO codes

2doorbamahoe

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about gas mileage, I think gas mileage should b forgotten with any older 4x4 v8. Especially with 35s. Just do what's best for truck!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get great mileage. 12 in both doesn't matter highway or city. I do drive them hard. If I wanted great mileage I'd get a little car

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher