Gas Gauge Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broken Truck

Reaction score
Hi all.

Before I begin I would like to say thanks to all who have posted info here that I have read.

I have a gas gauge that reads erradically. For the last year it wasn't reading anything except full or empty or staight down sometimes. Well, the fuel pump went and I replaced the sending unit along with the pump.

The gas gauge now reads BUT it shakes like crazy and jumps around a bit. I'm thinking it is time to replace the gauge.

Can they be replaced independently of the cluster or do I need a new cluster? Is this hard to do? ANy other ideas to try first?

Thank you!

Tom

Poncherello

Reaction score
That problem is usually the result of a bad sending unit rather than a faulty guage itself.

OP
OP
Broken Truck

Broken Truck

Reaction score
Ponch..... I agree except that I put in a new sending gauge and the unit began working again - just not perfectly.

Also - and this is what a former GM mechanic told me when I said my gauge was pointing straight down - he said that sounded more like a gauge problem. And that was happening before I replaced the sending unit. WIth the new sending unit it no longer points down, but it does the shaking thing I mentioned.

Poncherello

Reaction score
I missed the pointing straight down part. I had to replace both sending units in my 04 corvette twice before the problem was cured. I know sending units can be an issue with GM.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OBS Tahoes and Yukons are known for their pretty inaccurate gauges. For instance, you could have a quarter tank of gas, but when you accelerate, you could easily jump to what appears to be a half tank. Or when you brake the needle can drop down to empty. In order to really know how much gas you have, you just have to get used to it. If you are completely still on a level surface, you can usually get an accurate reading. The owner's manual will even say this is normal.

Anyways, my point is, are you sure you actually have a faulty gauge or is does it just move around a lot because of the motion of your truck? If the needle dances around all over the place when you are completely still and level, then you might have a gauge problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broken Truck

Broken Truck

Reaction score
grim....the shaking is constant....it isn;t much but enough to make the needle look blurry.

I have noticed with the new unit that it is sensitive to breaking and acceleration which I can live with (but the old one never did that)

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, if that's the case, it sounds like the gauge could be faulty. Should be a relatively cheap fix. Had a messed up gauge in my first car. Local shop fixed it for 30 bucks.

rv8tor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe with an irratic gauge like that. The only way I know exactly how much fuel I have left is to monitor the "fuel Used" in the info cluster. It is a fairly accurate (+/- a gallon) measure of fuel burned.

A local dealership mentioned something about this sending unit, but wanted $$$ to fix it. I passed for now, but I do want to fix this. Is this something I can do myself or do I need a shop for this??

rv8tor

OP
OP
Broken Truck

Broken Truck

Reaction score
Sending unit is in the tank. I did mine. It sucks to do but is possible.

You're hoehoe is newere than mine so I can't so your trick. I had to reset the odometer with each tank full and then watch my mileage.

I;m going to try replacing the guage but that won;t happen for a few weeks.

TheBigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this same problem fixed in my tahoe. it was a bad module that works with the fuel pump that was causing it for me you might want to get that looked at

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st tahoe