FYI Folks in CA & Maybe other States AAA won’t let you in the Tow Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Heads up folks and Parents with kids. I just called for a tow from a burst coolant hose and AAA subtly asked if I was going to follow them.

I couldn’t believe that their dispatch was too afraid to let me know they were only towing cars but leaving drivers behind. Apparently if you’re on the freeway they’ll take you to a
Restaurant or something but haven’t you already made contact at that point?

Here’s my concern. They stated it’s been this way for over a year. AAA had said nothing, nada, about this so you can prepare to catch a ride from a friend, relative or Lyft prior to calling AAA. If you’ve got kids with you, this is info you need way before you break down. Damn AAA you suck for not alerting ANYONE to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Heads up folks and Parents with kids. I just called for a tow from a burst coolant hose and AAA subtly asked if I was going to follow them.

I couldn’t believe that their dispatch was too afraid to let me know they were only towing cars but leaving drivers behind. Apparently if you’re on the freeway they’ll take you to a

Here’s my concern. They stated it’s been this way for over a year. AAA had said nothing, nada, about this so you can prepare to catch a ride from a friend, relative or Lyft prior to calling AAA. If you’ve got kids with you, this is info you need way before you break down. Damn AAA you suck for not alerting ANYONE to this.

I was told this, this past summer when my starter got fried. I bitched and they gave me a free voucher for Lyft. The truck driver did say I could ride with him tho, so I guess ut's up to the individual driver. I wonder if this'll change if a stranded driver gets hurt or, God forbid killed because they weren't allowed to go with the driver. Guess we'll see :confused:

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I called my wife at 05:30 and arranged for her to come and pick me up 12 miles away. I told AAA they’d have to take the Escalade to my house and then tow it to the Indi shop when they open. I told AAA these two trips would count as one call.

I told them there’s no way in hell I’d have a flat bed tow truck driver be responsible for dropping my truck off in a shopping center parking lot. There’s usually no available parking. Who’s responsible if there’s lot damage? Who’s taking possession of the truck if no one’s there.

The AAA driver gets there and offers to give me a ride. He said it’s his call. My wife pulled up behind me. Great, I got her up at 05:30, during her vacation for nothing. I told AAA to take the truck to the Indi shop instead of my home since my wife could follow us there. Wifey was cool about everything but AAA dispatch set off a chain of totality avoidable stressful events because they don’t have a policy or advise you “may” be out of a ride.

AAA paid for our top tier membership this year because they left me and 5 kids in a bum infested parking lot next to a ********** for three hours when our Denali XL broke down last year. Man I’ll tell ya these guys have really gone down the tubes with follow up and follow through as well as service.

I’m going to strongly suggest they inform all members that some things have changed in towing practices so members can better plan for unforeseen events that Covid 19 has caused.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For California it’s up to the tow company itself. I had this happen last summer when my starter gave out while I was detailing for a client. The dispatcher was like you will need to uber or Lyft home. I’m like it’s “its big bear bear and we literally don’t have any uber drivers up here... at all.... and she’s like I don’t know what to tell you....” I’m like that’s not acceptable. When the tow truck showed up I asked the driver and he said oh no that’s AAA’s policy not ours. And I was totally fine to ride in the truck with him. So if you’re in California and need a tow, and AAA tells you that, call to verify with the tow truck driver and company itself that’s doing the tow, as I don’t think the companies themselves are enforcing that policy. But I guess it depends on where you live.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't want to buy a taxi license too!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all of this Covid stuff will pass pretty quickly now.

I got my second dose of the vaccine yesterday and the clinic was nearly empty (when I went for my first, it was overflowing with people waiting). I read in the local paper many pharmacies have open appointments each day going unused. It won't be long before everyone has immunity, at least to these mutations...

Oldmopars

Reaction score
I had this happen in California when I blew the engine in my Subaru. The driver was going to leave me on the side of I-5 out in the middle of nowhere. He offered to let me sit in the car with it on the deck of the truck! I finally talked him into letting me sit in the back seat of his 4 door tow truck.
I was miles from the nearest exit and it was 90+ degrees out. Crazy. This was last year.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AAA is offering a free 24 hour car rental.. if you did not know that (not sure if it's on the premium tier only though) at lest they offered me one when I had the misfire(broken spark plug..)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission