Fun in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wanted to drop a note to say I had my first experience with the Tahoe in snow today. I bought my 04 Tahoe on 10/26 and today was the first snowfall here in central PA.

And BOY was it. We got 13 inches of snow. I woke up a bit early to clean off the hoe which was a chore (really should have taken the time to put it in the garage). It has Uniroyal "Laredo" tires on it and to look at them they do not inspire confidence.

I backed out of the driveway and popped it into "Auto 4WD" and off we went. It was a good experience overall.

The tires leave a lot to be desired. Unsure if I want to pull the trigger on winter tires at present though.

How are you all getting around in the snow?

P.S. I think my Subaru Forester is better in the snow :signs6:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with @89Suburban (who's up in Pa) and he says his tahoe got around pretty well in the snow just sticking in 2wd the whole time with his BFG's kickin ass and takin' names! :) A good tire goes a LONG ways with how a vehicle will handle snow

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wanted to drop a note to say I had my first experience with the Tahoe in snow today. I bought my 04 Tahoe on 10/26 and today was the first snowfall here in central PA.

And BOY was it. We got 13 inches of snow. I woke up a bit early to clean off the hoe which was a chore (really should have taken the time to put it in the garage). It has Uniroyal "Laredo" tires on it and to look at them they do not inspire confidence.

I backed out of the driveway and popped it into "Auto 4WD" and off we went. It was a good experience overall.

The tires leave a lot to be desired. Unsure if I want to pull the trigger on winter tires at present though.

How are you all getting around in the snow?

P.S. I think my Subaru Forester is better in the snow :signs6:

If you want a dedicated snow tire, go with the Blizzaks. For the best all around tire, go with the Defenders

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a dedicated snow tire, go with the Blizzaks. For the best all around tire, go with the Defenders

Thanks for the suggestion. I always struggle to justify putting on a snow tire. It's just something I've never done. I have a feeling if I did it would be immediately obvious why it was worth it. I do suppose a set of snow tires is cheaper than a wheelchair.

The times I wish for a snow tire is when folks think its smart to go up an incline slowly not allowing you to carry momentum- that or having to stop on an incline for a light. Those are the time you wish for a better tire. When you stay moving the no-seasons seem to be adequate with 4WD/AWD.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran the BFG a/t's for over 10 years on my plow trucks. i used to plow up to 6 inches in 2wd often. unless it was super wet and heavy of course.

if you dont mind some tire hum and the aggressive look, they are a good tire. sadly they dont last much more then 50,000 miles either. and thats only if you run them at max psi and rotate them every 5,000 miles.

once the tires that came on my tahoe wear out ill be buying them once again for sure.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with @89Suburban (who's up in Pa) and he says his tahoe got around pretty well in the snow just sticking in 2wd the whole time with his BFG's kickin ass and takin' names! :) A good tire goes a LONG ways with how a vehicle will handle snow

Yes sir loud and proud with the white letters OUT.

IMG_0101.JPG

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member