Fuel running out soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeytahoeq8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've recently been facing an issue with my Tahoe 2012 LT model in terms of fuel efficiency.
Can anyone help with what I need to be looking at to get fixed. Thanks in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently been facing an issue with my Tahoe 2012 LT model in terms of fuel efficiency.
Can anyone help with what I need to be looking at to get fixed. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Ummm…….Might need to know a little bit more about your situation.

How many miles on the Tahoe?

Is this a sudden change in mpg or a slow fade?

What kind of mpg’s are you getting now?

Are you doing a lot of towing or just putting grocery getter miles on it?

OP
OP
Joeytahoeq8

Joeytahoeq8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Ummm…….Might need to know a little bit more about your situation.

How many miles on the Tahoe?

Is this a sudden change in mpg or a slow fade?

What kind of mpg’s are you getting now?

Are you doing a lot of towing or just putting grocery getter miles on it?
Hi, Thanks for getting in touch...
Its a 2012 LT with a mileage of 250,000 on the engine.
No tows mostly used for getting to work and back and on the weekends taking the family out to the malls. Not much of activity to be honest.

OP
OP
Joeytahoeq8

Joeytahoeq8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently changed out the engine mounts, the. transmission mount, the coolant assembly (pipe), serviced and. topped up all the required.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are not very efficient running errands in the city. Wife going to mall, then waiting in line to get something somewhere, taking a phone call and more idling, etc. Mine is in top form and can get down to 9 mpg the way my wife drives it.

At 250K miles, two big issues affecting fuel economy are your catalysts and oxygen sensors. They get lazy as they age and the general consensus is to change them every 100K miles with GM OE only. Aftermarket sensors do not play nice with the computer system. if you run cheap gas like non top tier 87 octane all the time, well the injectors are probably not putting out their best spray pattern. Couple tanks of E85 or tanks of 93 and injector cleaner might help.

OP
OP
Joeytahoeq8

Joeytahoeq8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These trucks are not very efficient running errands in the city. Wife going to mall, then waiting in line to get something somewhere, taking a phone call and more idling, etc. Mine is in top form and can get down to 9 mpg the way my wife drives it.

At 250K miles, two big issues affecting fuel economy are your catalysts and oxygen sensors. They get lazy as they age and the general consensus is to change them every 100K miles with GM OE only. Aftermarket sensors do not play nice with the computer system. if you run cheap gas like non top tier 87 octane all the time, well the injectors are probably not putting out their best spray pattern. Couple tanks of E85 or tanks of 93 and injector cleaner might help.
Thanks for the feedback...I will go down to the GM service centre and tell them to look in to this as you suggested. Once again. I appreciate your help with this.

At 250K miles, two big issues affecting fuel economy are your catalysts and oxygen sensors. They get lazy as they age and the general consensus is to change them every 100K miles with GM OE only. Aftermarket sensors do not play nice with the computer system. if you run cheap gas like non top tier 87 octane all the time, well the injectors are probably not putting out their best spray pattern. Couple tanks of E85 or tanks of 93 and injector cleaner might help.Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy