Front struts replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7SubTrooper

Reaction score
My 2007 has 190k on it. Heard so many stores about trying about getting the struts apart. Would it be crazy to just order new springs and all the parts and just drop them in?

My cousin did the fox setup in his gmc 1500. Install was easy but doesnt see the value for daily driving for what he spent.

Drewskiii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did a spindle and strut drop up front and coil n shocks at back.. its pretty easy just takes time is all..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the OEM shock portion of the strut can be found for the best price on rockauto, then you just have the springs compressed or loan a spring compressor from the autoparts store, you wont get them apart without the tool. rockauto's price is 1/2 of what the dealer wants, a complete (single) strut is $800+

strut.JPG

Ledesordre

Reaction score
Just sharing my related info:

Ended up buying a pair of new front shock/spring assemblies on Amazon from Detroit Axle for like $140 for the pair. Will drop them in when they come. Found a broken strut mount stud on the drivers side that was likely causing the crazy squeaky noise (just bought this truck and it was like this).

I contemplated renting the spring compressor and just changing out the mount, but for the price of the entire assembly it made more sense to me do just drop them in. The mount is like $40 and the spring compressor is a $50 deposit to rent from Autozone.

Changed springs on fbodies before on the assembled shocks and its not very fun messing with the spring compressors and torsion release.

Capture.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157