Front license plate horror show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WA state they absolutely love to pull you over for not running a front plate. I’ve actually been stopped multiple times in the past, ticketed twice. They use it as an excuse to see what other dirt they can find. Not worth the risk if you’re ridin dirty

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you live somewhere where they give out a serious ticket for it not being there I wouldn't worry about, they are required here in CA I haven't had one on my vehicles in probably 20 years combined, never once have I got a ticket for it, i'ts not a moving violation so insurance wouldn't go up if you did get a ticket, I can sit here on the side of the road and count countless vehicles with no front plate, the cops could care less in general.
Technically if you're parked on a public road, you CAN get a ticket by those MeterMaids here in California. It's not a moving violation, but by not having one, you're obstructing them and law enforcement from identifying your car. It's also one less duty law enforcement officers have to deal with, when they could be focusing on hardcore badguys... The same applies for those people that would drive older cars with brand new dealer plates to avoid registration and/or paying fees. California eventually cracked down on that practice. I know you said you've been lucky not to get a ticket, but I've been ticketed twice while parked for not having my front license plate... And I also live in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you live somewhere where they give out a serious ticket for it not being there I wouldn't worry about, they are required here in CA I haven't had one on my vehicles in probably 20 years combined, never once have I got a ticket for it, i'ts not a moving violation so insurance wouldn't go up if you did get a ticket, I can sit here on the side of the road and count countless vehicles with no front plate, the cops could care less in general.
Definitely varies state to state. Nj they’ll pull you over if the front plate isn’t visible

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely varies state to state. Nj they’ll pull you over if the front plate isn’t visible
well ya some states put the year sticker up front, here on the west coast they are all on the rear, makes it easier for them to get money by pulling you over for expired tags

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ya some states put the year sticker up front, here on the west coast they are all on the rear, makes it easier for them to get money by pulling you over for expired tags
We had to stop that a few years ago. People were stealing plates or cutting the corners off just for the stickers. Can’t have anything nice in the city

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was expecting some kind of install gone wrong story by the title of this thread but drilling a couple tiny holes for rivets in the front bumper to hold a license plate on does not exactly strike me as a "horror show"

I could see it being a bigger deal on a high end sportscar but on the mom mobile who really cares?

patateB-5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Yukon XL Denali and there isn't a front license plate bracket. Same here I'd hate to drill holes in the bumper. I'm having to keep the front plate on the dash for now. Here in Texas it's the law to have both plates showing. And no smoke covers. Got a warning on my Challenger for that too. So I'm in the same boat over here. I like the 3m 2 sided tape idea, but don't it get messy after awhile? Would it pull off paint when repairing it? Open for suggestions.....Thanks

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Fl, we do not require a front plate, but since my AT4 was shipped from WI where they require a plate...I have 2 small holes on the black trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n