front diff long tube bearing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 96 Tahoe with 256K miles started roaring at speed so i just assumed it was hub bearings. had those changed and still roaring so i changed out the transfer case fluid and while i was under it i did what i should have done to begin with and checked front diff area and found the real problem the long tube side of diff is bad. i can move axle around more than it should. the driver side doesnt have any play in it.

what is involved in repairing the long tube side? can it be done in truck or does diff have to be pulled? i cant find any parts on whole rebuild kits. can you link me to a bearing and seal?

OP
OP
arctic388

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found a couple youtube videos on my issue and after searching a couple days and calling 3 parts places i think i have the part #'s needed.

OP
OP
arctic388

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after taking the wrong parts to mechanic and them having to source the seal and bearing from 2 different parts places they got the parts changed out.

guess what. still roaring when i get above 55mph. and now it wont engage 4wd.
i found a 95 front diff with 3.42 gears but i don't want that. i want 3.73 but can not find a set locally yet.

at this point i am researching cost for buying new gears and just having my existing diffs rebuilt with 3.73 gears.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When replacing that bearing the axle shaft likely is pitted at the bearing ride area causing some noise and also could have gear noise. If replace the gears to 3.73 then that should go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyodave