From Crossville TN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

thingraylinetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go get after it.
Well I got the stepson out there working on it now. It's still shifting fine but now there is what sounds like a power steering pump whine when it's in gear. But I do have a leaky power steering pump that hasn't been gotten to yet. It was making a whining noise very similar in sound to that.

But the gasket, filter and fluids are getting changed. So we shall see what happens. Stepson seems to think that changing the fluid is going to cause it to go out faster but I guess we will see.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the stepson out there working on it now. It's still shifting fine but now there is what sounds like a power steering pump whine when it's in gear. But I do have a leaky power steering pump that hasn't been gotten to yet. It was making a whining noise very similar in sound to that.

But the gasket, filter and fluids are getting changed. So we shall see what happens. Stepson seems to think that changing the fluid is going to cause it to go out faster but I guess we will see.
The whine, now that the PS pump sounds like it's been ruled out, could very well be the pump in the transmission. Our '99 had a whine that I was able to quiet down with some Lucas transmission fix additive. It took a few hundred miles after adding it to hear a noticeable difference.

OP
OP
T

thingraylinetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well bad news she's toast there is pump whine coming from the trans. Even after draining the fluid from the torque convertor the fluid went right back to black. I guess we will be selling jt after all. It hurts to sell my dream vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10