Fog light diffuser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I replace the bulbs in my fog lights and the lens falls off. I've pulled both housings so I can clean them up and silicone the lens back on. In the housing there is that metal diffuser that sits in front of the bulb I guess to cut back on how much or how far the light goes? Anyway, I was wondering what would happen, what would the light pattern or output be if I took them out.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question! Tagged for the answer. I heard someone took theirs off because the bulb they were using was too long. They didn't report on the light output though

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it won't make a difference I won't screw with it but if it will let more light out I'll pull them as long as the lens is off.

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
It servers a few purposes.

The housing focuses the back and side emitted light but can't do anything with the forward light. The reflector redirects the unfocused front emissions back into the focused stream.

The reflector is used to stop filament heat from reaching the lens.

It also eliminates the filament glare, with non-prismatic lenses, to oncoming traffic and evens the light output.

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I needed to know, thanks Greb, think I'll leave them alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali