FOB proramming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1998 Yukon
RPO code AU0
Received the truck with no FOBs.
Im trying to program some FOBs.
When I put the paper clip in OBD slots 4 and 8, nothing happens.
I tried the programming where you hold down UNLOCK and cycle the key.
I tried the programming where you pull fuse #17.
None of the methods put the truck into pairing mode.
Any other methods?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use a paperclip. I used a jumper wire where I knew the ends were good and would make contact with the pins. Doors immediately cycled as expected.

Have you looked into the connector pins to see if anything is blocking? Have you tried anything else in the port like scanner to see if it works?

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't use a paperclip. I used a jumper wire where I knew the ends were good and would make contact with the pins. Doors immediately cycled as expected.

Have you looked into the connector pins to see if anything is blocking? Have you tried anything else in the port like scanner to see if it works?

Scanner works without any issues. I tried with a couple of different types of jumper (paperclip, wire). No obstructions in the OBD port. Pins are clean, no rust/corrosion.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well, that's all I've got. Maybe somebody else.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the truck and fobs to a local locksmith, and they will program for about $25.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to on the 98s, unless the Yukon is different for some reason. I did two brand new ones for mine inside of about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if he either has something defective, or some kind of extra security option.

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take the truck and fobs to a local locksmith, and they will program for about $25.
I will try that.
You shouldn't have to on the 98s, unless the Yukon is different for some reason. I did two brand new ones for mine inside of about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if he either has something defective, or some kind of extra security option.
That is what I thought. I dont see anything additional to the vehicle except a trailer brake system (mounted but wires disconnected).

You mention alarm. I did have a situation when I first got the vehicle, where I had replaced the battery, and upon reconnecting the cables, the doors locked and the horn just started blaring. I had to pull the horn fuse. Then disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes. Upon reconnecting the battery, and reinstalling the horn fuse, the issue never happened again. Is that factory alarm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts