First Time tahoe owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at a '98 Tahoe tomorrow that's extremely clean and has 147k miles on it. Haven't driven it yet. 5.7L, auto tranny 4x4, leather interior, power everything, rear cargo doors, red with gray interior.

I just wanted opinions from people on this forum on these tahoes. I read A LOT of mixed reviews, some people have great ones and others get ones that are endless maintenance (these things seem really hit and miss), so, like I said, I want to hear what people on this forum have to say. I know it's a tahoe forum so it will be somewhat biased like every other vehicle forum, but I would like to know what your trouble spots are (whether you like the vehicle or not). I am not brand particular (have owned Ford, chevy, dodge, and toyota) so you won't get any bias from me, just questions.

I realize any vehicle wears out and needs to have things replaced but I have terrible luck with Vehicles. I've had 3 nice vehicles with low mileage that were great until a couple months into ownership and they went to shit, seems to happen with all my vehicles. Trying to finally find one that won't do this...

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Glad to see a potential owner!

here's the down low...

Pro's:
they're powerful, hardy, and useful. They can tow a LOT more than you think, the 350 vortec can run forever in not-so-perfect condition. Easy to repair and maintain by yourself. Most issues are sin=mple and easy to resolve. It's big, can hold a ton of crap, and roomy. Smooth ride (depending on condition), and great to look at!

cons:
They like to break (well some, at least) and usually without notice. Gas mileage just SUCKS. But thats with any full-size truck & V8 combo. Some of them consume front brakes like water. When they rust, they rust BAD... And all the usual 100K+ mileage issues.

things to look for:
-does it still have the orange GM antifreeze? This erodes the intake gaskets, and causes major problems.
-Does the engine idle smoothly? A rough idle/misfire can be cause by a number of pain in the ass problems
-how many miles on the tranny? They tend to go around 150k...
-are the fluids in the transfer case and both differentials okay? These tend to be neglected/
-how well taken care of is it? If its not too well taken care of, be leary, because this could lead to a bunch of issues again down the line..
-is there any rust? this just sucks in general.
-how does it ride? is the steering sloppy? does the steering wheel wobble/pulsate after hitting a big bump, or at certain speeds? This means you'll need an alignment and possibly need new suspension bushings and shocks.
-Check the rear leaf springs to make sure nothing in the spring pack is cracked.
-has it been eating antifreeze? does it leak antifreeze? This is a sign of a bad intake gasket. Big job to do, and expensive if you get it done at a shop.
-does it eat or leak oil? Also bad, but potentially not too bad depending on from where.
-all the other things, cosmetic quality, etc...

Don't mean to scare you away... Hope I didn't, just making sure your armed with all the knowledge you need. Good luck with everything and let us know how it all goes! :waytogo:

LSUz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish i had that check list when i was looking.
Great info and he nailed it. Use the above tomorrow
Check trans fluid/oil. Get under it and look for oil leaks/any leaks.

OP
OP
N

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I ran an auto check. It's been a 1-owner since 1998, person leased it for 2 years then bought it. No accidents, damage, salvage, etc... Last odometer reading was at 86k miles (has 147k now).

Good to know it's a one owner but the make me think....was something starting to go bad on it or did they just decide it's time for something new?

OP
OP
N

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, took it on a 30 min test drive and was impressed with the exception of a few things.

Good:
-Idles very smoothly
-All power options work (windows, locks, seats, etc....)
-Engine bay is clean and has no visible leaks
-Took it down a rough road (at a slow speed) and there were no suspension noises or clunks/rattles to speak of
-Accelerated great, brakes had good stopping power but pedal was soft (like every other tahoe I've been in)
-Same owner since 2000, only got rid of it for good deal on brand new escalade
-Interior and body are EXTREMELY clean. No rust anywhere (except for frame, but it's just some pitting, body and floor pans have no rust anyhwere)

Bad
-Transmission seems to "kick" from 1st to 2nd. All my vehicles have shifted firmly but this one kicks up to 2nd from 1st. Original tranny, 147k miles, I know they tend to go around this mileage.
-ABS light on
-Windshield wipers don't work on any speed

I'm buying the vehicle from a dealer (unfortunately) and the sales guy said he has to talk to his manager to see what they can do about price or fixing things. He said if they fix the wipers the price stays firm or they can maybe work on a price if they don't fix those items. The dealer wants $5k for it, and don't get me wrong, it's excellent cosmetically and 90% mechanically, but I'm not paying $5,000 for a 14 year old vehicle that has possible electrical problems (wipers), tranny problems, and needs ABS work. I'll see what their offer is.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

skooter65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, took it on a 30 min test drive and was impressed with the exception of a few things.

Good:
-Idles very smoothly
-All power options work (windows, locks, seats, etc....)
-Engine bay is clean and has no visible leaks
-Took it down a rough road (at a slow speed) and there were no suspension noises or clunks/rattles to speak of
-Accelerated great, brakes had good stopping power but pedal was soft (like every other tahoe I've been in)
-Same owner since 2000, only got rid of it for good deal on brand new escalade
-Interior and body are EXTREMELY clean. No rust anywhere (except for frame, but it's just some pitting, body and floor pans have no rust anyhwere)

Bad
-Transmission seems to "kick" from 1st to 2nd. All my vehicles have shifted firmly but this one kicks up to 2nd from 1st. Original tranny, 147k miles, I know they tend to go around this mileage.
-ABS light on
-Windshield wipers don't work on any speed

I'm buying the vehicle from a dealer (unfortunately) and the sales guy said he has to talk to his manager to see what they can do about price or fixing things. He said if they fix the wipers the price stays firm or they can maybe work on a price if they don't fix those items. The dealer wants $5k for it, and don't get me wrong, it's excellent cosmetically and 90% mechanically, but I'm not paying $5,000 for a 14 year old vehicle that has possible electrical problems (wipers), tranny problems, and needs ABS work. I'll see what their offer is.

Thanks for the help.

I Can;t speak for many of your concerns as I too just recently purchased a 1999 Tahoe. However, I did want to give you a bit of a price comparison as it sounds like the two vehicles are nearly identical. Mine = 1999 Tahoe, Red/Grey Two-Tone exterior, Grey Leather Interior, 142,000 miles, excellent condition inside and out. I paid $3,200 private sale.

Location plays a big role but this can at least give you a ballpark figure for what to expect to pay.

OP
OP
N

NDGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I Can;t speak for many of your concerns as I too just recently purchased a 1999 Tahoe. However, I did want to give you a bit of a price comparison as it sounds like the two vehicles are nearly identical. Mine = 1999 Tahoe, Red/Grey Two-Tone exterior, Grey Leather Interior, 142,000 miles, excellent condition inside and out. I paid $3,200 private sale.

Location plays a big role but this can at least give you a ballpark figure for what to expect to pay.

I've never minded paying a little more for a vehicle that has documentation and proof of being well taken care of, and the location is the big thing here. I live 2 hours east of the center of the oil boom in ND (oil is getting closer to where I live, too) and finding a decent used vehicle (at a decent price) out here is next to impossible. And if something goes wrong, you have a hell of a time getting your vehicle to a mechanic in a reasonable amount of time.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Dont forget you are part of one of the best trouble shooting forums for any class of vehicle these guys know there stuff and can offer you advise that can save you hundreds even thousands down the toad ....

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
wiper less then $100, Abs is probably a dirty front wheel sensor. And for what it is worth my tranny kicks the same since rebuild last year. That just means I need to stay on full throttle longer.:D

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
The trans could break tomorrow or in 20 years. The "kick" is a bad valvebody which isn't cheap to replace. It is common on late 90s chevy trucks and s10/blazers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84

Latest posts