First time changing engine oil 2005 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been a Synthetic Blend user. But I hear the possibility of oil leakage due to fully synthetics?

I daily drive close to home..... in Florida.....

I want the best oil...... but I am new to this 2005 Yukon 5.3.

( My old truck was easy.... '88 GMC - 350cid)

Any suggestions?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switched my 2006 to full synthetic at the first oil change into owning at it at like 77,000. Never had any excessive oil burning or leaks.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Every vehicle i have owned in the last 25 years i have switched over to full synthetic and it has never led to any any oil leaks or worsening of existing leaks.
Same. Everything down to a 1998 went to synthetic. Never owned anything older. Mine's a 05 w/ 140k and the underside is bone dry. Not even so much as a wet spot. Don't think I got the memo that I owned a chevy :p

I use M1 0w30 ESP, NOT the AFE. Stupid naming but the esp has a better viscosity index and better high temp/high shear numbers.

Don't skimp on the filter. IMO it's your biggest determining factor. I'd rather run a top of the market filter and cheap ass oil to meet a budget than the other way around!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add: Stalk Napa for sales on the mobil 1. They have it on sale for 50% off every couple months. It's like 5 or 6 bucks a quart at that time.

Filter wise, there are only 3 I'd touch, but only 2 I use due to availability.

All listed are a high quality filter w/ synthetic media, silicone ADBV, thick case, etc etc. Note I use the longer units rather than the updated shorties.

In no particular order:

1. Amsoil EAO64
2. Fram XG3675 - Wouldn't touch the rest of their lineup w/ a 10 foot pole, but the ultra synthetics stand peer to peer with the amsoil units
3. Donaldson has some part interchanges. Never looked into it since I really can't get them locally

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SnowDrifter...... I agree..... I heard, WIX filter is very good too....

I had an '88 GMC w/ 390,000. Always went for the best oil/filter.

I'll check out that 0w30 ESP ( Mobil 1?)

Yea.. Amsoil is good also....

( I hauled an Unlimited Hydroplane from San Francisco to Eastern Washington St, for a race....)

E-Gads...... I had no idea how eastern Washington St was so flat & dry!!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix is OK. Not bad by any means, but it's a pretty bog-standard filter. Paper media enclosed by metal end caps. Good quality control, I've yet to see one incur a failure (looking at your, purolator) or otherwise have issues.

I want to like the wix XP because it has mesh backed synthetic media. But the things filter like ass in testing. They just don't perform.

Yeah eastern washington might as well be a different state!!

For what it's worth:

Amsoil EAo
EaO64003_zpscce7284a.jpg

Fram ultra:
19488962781_2bf58684e3_o.jpg

Wix standard and XP:
wix-xp-vs-wix-Trinity-Automotive-6.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Wix is OK. Not bad by any means, but it's a pretty bog-standard filter. Paper media enclosed by metal end caps. Good quality control, I've yet to see one incur a failure (looking at your, purolator) or otherwise have issues.

I want to like the wix XP because it has mesh backed synthetic media. But the things filter like ass in testing. They just don't perform.

Yeah eastern washington might as well be a different state!!

For what it's worth:

Amsoil EAo
EaO64003_zpscce7284a.jpg

Fram ultra:
19488962781_2bf58684e3_o.jpg

Wix standard and XP:
wix-xp-vs-wix-Trinity-Automotive-6.jpg

What say you on the Mobil 1 filter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member