First Flat Under 5K miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad luck but not so bad timing.

Heading to work Wednesday night, and get to work on time..barely…. about 0500 I get a text from co worker adrising dri front tire flat. Head outside and confirm. Call OnStar and wait the typical 2+15 for contract mechanic. Finally listento my owN advice and call AAA. 45 minu later AAA on scene and GM finally calls to say 30 minutes out. Advise them to CXL and of course let them know that AAA beat them even after being called almost 2+30 later. About 20 minutes later I am on my way. Leg injury last year and in Wheelchair..hopef not much longer. Drop tire off at Costco pay $15 for inspection to determine tread or sidewall. Get call about hour later with bad news. Small but juse enough to cause puncture. Automatic NO GO and grounding discrepancy …. Sorry too much aviatIon my blood system. Worse since it is a new model line BridgeStone AlenzaS 02 N/A. Duelers yes Alenza no. Dealer only or Tire Rack…….to be continued….

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad luck but not so bad timing.

Heading to work Wednesday night, and get to work on time..barely…. about 0500 I get a text from co worker adrising dri front tire flat. Head outside and confirm. Call OnStar and wait the typical 2+15 for contract mechanic. Finally listento my owN advice and call AAA. 45 minu later AAA on scene and GM finally calls to say 30 minutes out. Advise them to CXL and of course let them know that AAA beat them even after being called almost 2+30 later. About 20 minutes later I am on my way. Leg injury last year and in Wheelchair..hopef not much longer. Drop tire off at Costco pay $15 for inspection to determine tread or sidewall. Get call about hour later with bad news. Small but juse enough to cause puncture. Automatic NO GO and grounding discrepancy …. Sorry too much aviatIon my blood system. Worse since it is a new model line BridgeStone AlenzaS 02 N/A. Duelers yes Alenza no. Dealer only or Tire Rack…….to be continued….
I had a flat on my ‘21 with the 22” rims under 500 miles (about 480) and ended up going through the dealers. They surprisingly covered it under GM warranty as a “hardship” kind of category since it shouldn’t have happened with those few miles.

Not sure what their limit would be on something like that since it’s older and a lot more miles but maybe they can give you a deal.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also find stray single Alenza’s on eBay that people have broken up their set or got all new tires and kept the old ones…
But the 1st flat I get, all 4 are going for Michelins as these are some of the lousiest OEM tires I’ve ever had….

OP
OP
C

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with Michelin’s on a previous full size SUV. I good luck with Duelers on my previous 2018 Explore. Pirellis Scorpion Verdes were good on my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee but didnt have JGC long enough to fully evaluate. Performance tires on a sport/touring suspension make for generally lower service life and not as tough as a touring, or custom tuned suspension.

Update…..meant to order yesterday in hopes for a Tuesday arrival and probably same day installation. Called alternare dealer and……’in stock”. Over to Costco and picked up rim…..Lucky shot #2…..tire center opens 0930 Saturdays. Waited about five minutes instead of Thirty-five. Dropped rim and old tire at dealer. Advised to call me when it was mounted and balanced. I was originally planning to do the 6K service a tough early. Was told that warranty c ompany will NOT approve warranty claim until the 6,000 miles. I either have to get 1K miles before next Saturday or just take the installation and come back later for rotate/balance and OLF. I prefer not to risk the spare any more time than necessary.

A touch over $300 dealer cost plush installation….probably not too bad for dealer price for all four. If I want balance with rotation it will be $60 For all four. $30 at Costco but since I would be at the dealer anyway might as well suck it up and avoid a duplicate visit. Tires off for rotation anyway so whats a few more minutes?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with Michelin’s on a previous full size SUV. I good luck with Duelers on my previous 2018 Explore. Pirellis Scorpion Verdes were good on my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee but didnt have JGC long enough to fully evaluate. Performance tires on a sport/touring suspension make for generally lower service life and not as tough as a touring, or custom tuned suspension.

Update…..meant to order yesterday in hopes for a Tuesday arrival and probably same day installation. Called alternare dealer and……’in stock”. Over to Costco and picked up rim…..Lucky shot #2…..tire center opens 0930 Saturdays. Waited about five minutes instead of Thirty-five. Dropped rim and old tire at dealer. Advised to call me when it was mounted and balanced. I was originally planning to do the 6K service a tough early. Was told that warranty c ompany will NOT approve warranty claim until the 6,000 miles. I either have to get 1K miles before next Saturday or just take the installation and come back later for rotate/balance and OLF. I prefer not to risk the spare any more time than necessary.

A touch over $300 dealer cost plush installation….probably not too bad for dealer price for all four. If I want balance with rotation it will be $60 For all four. $30 at Costco but since I would be at the dealer anyway might as well suck it up and avoid a duplicate visit. Tires off for rotation anyway so whats a few more minutes?
Remember, the dealers use the better balancers and the mechanics are professionals.

Many tire stores are condemning tires if they get a puncture anywhere near the shoulder. For example, if there are 5 lines of tread, they will only make repairs on the inner 3. This is a crock. Many tire manufacturers do not buy into this malarkey either.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, the dealers use the better balancers and the mechanics are professionals.

Many tire stores are condemning tires if they get a puncture anywhere near the shoulder. For example, if there are 5 lines of tread, they will only make repairs on the inner 3. This is a crock. Many tire manufacturers do not buy into this malarkey either.
Discount Tire is big on this too…90% of the time a fixable tire with them is not fixable according to them. If you bought their warranty you get a free new one, but if not you are SOL. Harder and Harder to find a real service station that will just patch it and let you move on…

OP
OP
C

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To a certain point I understand about sidewall damage being a NO GO. Remember Pandemic, about every industry is finding new ways to make coin doing whatever means necessary….. what used to be a easy fix is now getting scrapped to sell new ones. For this particular scenario the dealer was cheaper than even first national retailr….(Tire Rack). What I don’t understand is why dealer maintenance plans Don’t include balance in the plan, even if the plan may cost slightly more. Costco charges $30 per occurrence and dealer $60. Yes more but already as they say….”in the neighborhood“ so might suck it up this time. Local dealer so far being nice, not gauging and so far no callbacks about any….Rim Damaged beyond limits. For Tire, mounting, balancing, and balance of all four corners….(rotation included in the MPP) and again. A Full Synthetic Oil Change also part of MPP… under $400. Only inconvenience is making a second trip but either make second trip to dealer closer to 6K miles or pay OOP for rotate balance and OLF. I checked other dealers and Synthetic OLF is $60 alone. I can charge my iPad and have something to entertain myself. For yesterdays visit I just grabbed my folding lawn chair and sat outside the fast lane building enjoying the n ice breeze and my puppy got some fresh air. Had I been more alert I would have pushed to get mounted and balanced and installed yesterday and save rtomorrows visit. Again don’t want to ride the temporary spare longer than I need to because if that goes I am totally SOL. Worst case they deny the warranty claim for the rotate/balance/OLF and I reschedule at the 6K mark. Same four hour block of time carved out whether it is a Saturday or weekday. Only major difference is on Saturday I don’t have to work all night, grab quick catnap after work and head to Hyperbaric. The most surprising part of this story is that the tire was in stock. That’s why I wanted to get my inventory and price locked and claim before someone else purchased the only remaining three. I also requested that they pick the tire that is closest to the production date code as the others (29th week 2021)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345