Finally getting a Tech2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting; mine came preloaded and it's in the bottom slot. It seems to be working perfectly fine. I checked and it will go into the top slot though.
Edit: I checked the instructions and it says it's supposed to be in the top slot and the bottom slot is for "future use" so I put it in the top slot. I don't see any difference; it still works.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you run the experiment? Several tanks worth? Same driving habits and what was the mileage difference? Did you run this test for both fuels during the same time of year (winter blends vs summer blends)?

It costs me within tenths of a penny to run 93 versus 87 and often even less to run E85.

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Interesting; mine came preloaded and it's in the bottom slot. It seems to be working perfectly fine. I checked and it will go into the top slot though.
Edit: I checked the instructions and it says it's supposed to be in the top slot and the bottom slot is for "future use" so I put it in the top slot. I don't see any difference; it still works.
Hi Mark,

When I put mine into the bottom slot and powered up the Tech 2, it went into what looks like a software download mode waiting for a connection from a PC. I figured “future use” may have also included card programming, but if yours works in the bottom slot I hope I didn’t get shipped a blank card.

I asked the seller if I had his permission to try and modify the door without impacting my ability to return the item, and he gave me his blessing. So I brought my Tech 2 and a variety of pliers to work and will play at lunchtime to try and cram it into the top slot one way or another! :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
How did you run the experiment? Several tanks worth? Same driving habits and what was the mileage difference? Did you run this test for both fuels during the same time of year (winter blends vs summer blends)?

It costs me within tenths of a penny to run 93 versus 87 and often even less to run E85.
Hi James,

No, my experiment with premium (91 around here) wasn’t that lengthy or detailed. Shell premium has no ethanol, so I was trying a couple of 0% ethanol tanks to see if that would reset my alcohol percentage prior to purchasing the Tech 2. It didn’t of course. Premium is usually around 20 - 25 cents more per litre, so around a 20% premium over regular. Even when I get my truck running tickety boo again, I won’t see anywhere near a 20% increase in mileage to compensate. I’m rather jealous of your results James!

Aside from the fact that it works out to almost the same price so “why not”, do you see any other benefit to running 93 in your truck? Do you have it tuned for high octane?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

When I put mine into the bottom slot and powered up the Tech 2, it went into what looks like a software download mode waiting for a connection from a PC. I figured “future use” may have also included card programming, but if yours works in the bottom slot I hope I didn’t get shipped a blank card.

I asked the seller if I had his permission to try and modify the door without impacting my ability to return the item, and he gave me his blessing. So I brought my Tech 2 and a variety of pliers to work and will play at lunchtime to try and cram it into the top slot one way or another! :893Chainsaw-Smilie-
@swathdiver have you tried yours in the botton slot?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...do you see any other benefit to running 93 in your truck? Do you have it tuned for high octane?

Yes, it idles smoother and the additives keep the injectors and valves and such cleaner. I did have BlackBear tune it for 93 but I've being doing the high octane test on all of my autos since the 1980s.

@swathdiver have you tried yours in the botton slot?

Yes, the card does not work in that slot. It was for copying and future upgrades which never were.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it idles smoother and the additives keep the injectors and valves and such cleaner. I did have BlackBear tune it for 93 but I've being doing the high octane test on all of my autos since the 1980s.

Yes, the card does not work in that slot. It was for copying and future upgrades which never were.
Strange that mine does work in the bottom or top slot.

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Before:

That opening is WAY too small:

Nurse, scalpel please:

Not the cleanest job, but I can tidy this up easily enough:

PCMCIA card fits in like a glove now:

Oh, I’m so excited!!!:

What?!? :Angry::

Has anybody seen this before? Is my card blank after all? Sigh, I hope I don’t have to wait another two weeks for a replacement card from China.

The saga continues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts