Exhaust smell in cabin Escalade 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
I was referring to a c02 trigger from another owner that also smelled exhaust, when they brought it to the attention of the delaer they were on it fast.
I also find it hard to believe a delaer can't get you in for appointment is this like a single bay dealer or something, my dealer has at least 15 bays and they can knock out stuff left and right
Ahhh gotcha. You can’t even get somebody on the phone.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
I would be reaching out to GM customer service and stretch the truth a bit by adding it's giving me headache every time I drive or something of that nature, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.....
A new update. I was able to finally get an appointment scheduled with Foundation Cadillac for Jan 4. There doesn't seem to be any urgency, but I guess I am getting in.

The thing about this, I can't shake that this is not an exhaust leak (I would imagine that would be highly unlikely on new car) but more like something to do with the service I had where they change the diff fluid and did the transfer case service. And that is exactly when the smell started. I keep wondering if they over filled the transfer case or something and its dripping fluid down on a hot exhaust.

Still would love any thoughts if somebody had any to try to save me a grief filled experience with the dealer.

Oh no loaners either :). Hopefully they can fix it while I wait.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new update. I was able to finally get an appointment scheduled with Foundation Cadillac for Jan 4. There doesn't seem to be any urgency, but I guess I am getting in.

The thing about this, I can't shake that this is not an exhaust leak (I would imagine that would be highly unlikely on new car) but more like something to do with the service I had where they change the diff fluid and did the transfer case service. And that is exactly when the smell started. I keep wondering if they over filled the transfer case or something and its dripping fluid down on a hot exhaust.

Still would love any thoughts if somebody had any to try to save me a grief filled experience with the dealer.

Oh no loaners either :). Hopefully they can fix it while I wait.
I have only had smells when having new cats welded in it will stink for a few days but then goes away, any other smells would be from leaks from oil but those I would not smell inside the vehicle only from the outside when entering/exiting with the door open

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
There are portable CO2 alarms that you can stick on one of the b pillars
I actually think I have a standard carbon monoxide detector in my house that I could run out to the truck on an extension and see what happens. I’m still hoping for we filled the transfer case with too much gear oil and that smell is it dripping onto the hot exhaust

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can find a shop with a smoke tool for evap systems, or buy a halloween smoke machine and tightly seal its flow into the exhaust output. If you have a leak you'll find it for certain.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
See if you can find a shop with a smoke tool for evap systems, or buy a halloween smoke machine and tightly seal its flow into the exhaust output. If you have a leak you'll find it for certain.
I actually have a Halloween smoke machine with a hose! That’s a great idea. Since it’s twin pipe. I would need to plug the one side I think

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a Halloween smoke machine with a hose! That’s a great idea. Since it’s twin pipe. I would need to plug the one side I think
Look for some rubber plugs or caps and hose clamps at your hardware store, and a hose that will fit the outlet of the smoke machine that you can plumb into your tail pipe. Then use some rags and stuff around to seal the exhaust output. Easy peesy.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt the fill line the plug?.You cant overfill a transfer case is my understanding unless it was filled out of the truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts