Exhaust smell in cabin Escalade 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have Escalade 2021 Esv, 6.2 liter, performance exhaust and air filter. This truck had the lifter issue on the 1357 bank replaced at 14k miles.

I had taken the truck in for regular service at 24k miles. Standard stuff and they also did the transmission and diff service.

Ever since that service there is an intermittent smell of exhaust that comes into the cabin mainly on the right side. It’s mostly noticeable at idle. And if you turn circulate air on it goes away.

I can’t get an appointment at the dealership for like a month but it is really annoying.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on what it could be. I’m worried it’s intermittent and the dealership will dismiss it.

Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

TexasLC

Reaction score
If it were me I would take an afternoon and drive it over there. CALMLY wait until a service manager can see you. I’d check in with an advisor every 20 minutes. Be patient and calm and I bet you’ll get help. If it takes 2-3 hours then so be it. Exhaust coming into the cabin isn’t something to mess around with so I would be persistent and patient and firm in asking for a quick once over. My relatives F250 did this and after he drove it over they took his car in ASAP to get it tended to. It was a safety issue.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible you have a cabin vent that is stuck open? I had that same thing happen on my 2008. When I only had the sunroof open I would get dust inside the cabin and the faint whiff of exhaust. I found out that the air flaps to release cabin pressure were gone. They are located above the rear taillights, under the trim piece.

I'd try driving with the air blower OFF, and try to create a vacuum in the cab with the sunroof opened. See if that changes anything.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This truck has been in the shop more than on the road. I’m so close to dumping it.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Thought I would throw an update out there. Still can't get in to see anybody at the dealership. BUT....I have at least a theory and I wanted to see if somebody could comment. When they did the lifter repair I am pretty sure they had to remove the exhaust manifold. Given that the smell seems to be coming from the right passenger side more than the left (wife can smell it more than I) and the 1357 bank I believe is on the left side of the truck (battery side), could it be that the manifold might need to be tightened or something? AND if it were could I inspect it and do that?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would throw an update out there. Still can't get in to see anybody at the dealership. BUT....I have at least a theory and I wanted to see if somebody could comment. When they did the lifter repair I am pretty sure they had to remove the exhaust manifold. Given that the smell seems to be coming from the right passenger side more than the left (wife can smell it more than I) and the 1357 bank I believe is on the left side of the truck (battery side), could it be that the manifold might need to be tightened or something? AND if it were could I inspect it and do that?
I would not attempt any repairs yourself that you think were caused/introduced during the OTHER warranty repair...or a general delaer service.

The exhaust manifold may have had to be removed to do the initial repair. There could be an issue w/ the gasket, the torque on the exhaust manifold bolts, or other issues.

You may be able to inspect and see if there is a leak (looking for carbon on or around the exhaust manifold), or by opening the hood and listening...you might be able to hear if there is a leak or not...

Also, another possibility is that there was oil or coolant spilled onto the engine or exhaust during the repair, and these need to burn off before they go away.

It could also be an exhaust leak below the engine, in the exhaust pipes/clamps (not sure if they may have had to remove the exhaust to drop the transmission pan to perform the transmission service)...you might be able to inspect this under the vehicle yourself.

Incidentally, why did you need transmission service at 24k miles, the severe service schedule calls for transmission and transfer case service at 45k miles, and normal is 90k miles, but i would never go that far.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
I have to apologize. It was transmission it was transfer case. I thought it was weird that it started after service. I don’t hear any ticking, no loss of power, no gas mileage issues. Just the occasional smell of something which I thought was exhaust. I have to say I’m super frustrated with Cadillac service in general. Can’t get in. Nobody can help. No parts. No loaners. Freaking abysmal.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to apologize. It was transmission it was transfer case. I thought it was weird that it started after service. I don’t hear any ticking, no loss of power, no gas mileage issues. Just the occasional smell of something which I thought was exhaust. I have to say I’m super frustrated with Cadillac service in general. Can’t get in. Nobody can help. No parts. No loaners. Freaking abysmal.
You can take your vehicle to any GM dealership, doesn't have to be Cadillac...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844