Engine Swap to stroked 6.0 (408) and general vehicle refurbishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a tech 2, see if you can command the fans on.

Then for the oil leak,
I had a valve cover leak on my passenger side.
Since i installed the heads and valve covers in the vehicle, i managed to get the valve covers slightly crooked.

Leaked down the side of the block, and then in the bell housing via starter.

Crossing fingers for you that it's that easy.
When your post popped up I went out and ran my hands around both valve covers. Dry, unfortunately. I also felt around the starter and while the snout is wet, the top seems dry. Unfortunately I don't think I am going to get that lucky. Earlier this evening I also felt around the oil pressure sender, which was also dry. Tomorrow I am going to check out the valley cover, and also take a real good hard look and see if I can find anything visible above the bottom of the bell-housing. However, I feel like it is unlikely that I am going to find anything, because I am pretty sure its the back of the engine. But either way, I REALLY appreciate your suggestion and well wishes.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the fans did you try turning on the AC? It might not be recommended for the initial break in but that should turn them on. First checks after that would be fuses, relays, did the fans get hooked back up? I’ve done it multiple times. Temp sensor installed and hooked up?

One last possibility could be the tune. I can’t remember off the top of my head if you’ve had another tune put in for initial start up but maybe the fans got “adjusted” improperly.

Congratulations on getting it back together and running even with the initial “bugs”
Dang it, I forgot about the air-conditioning. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. I don't think the fans got unhooked, but I think it would be prudent to retrace the harness for them tomorrow. As for the tune...I know that this is a possibility, but I don't know enough to know what is what. When I ran the car today I did some logging and specifically looked at fan stuff. I noticed that as the temperature came up the "Fan Desired" began to show increasing percentages, but the "fan speed" stayed at zero, which implies to me that the computer was trying to turn the fans on, but was unable, and therefore the tune is likely not the problem. Of course I barely know anything about tuning so I could be totally wrong here.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be a better way to do this on the forum without resorting to Youtube, but here is a link to the video of the first start if anyone is interested and has 54 seconds to kill.

I think I'll title it "The thrill of victory before the agony of a leaking rear main seal."

1badjimmy

Reaction score
As for the tune...I know that this is a possibility, but I don't know enough to know what is what. When I ran the car today I did some logging and specifically looked at fan stuff. I noticed that as the temperature came up the "Fan Desired" began to show increasing percentages, but the "fan speed" stayed at zero, which implies to me that the computer was trying to turn the fans on, but was unable, and therefore the tune is likely not the problem. Of course I barely know anything about tuning so I could be totally wrong here.

I am barely good enough to download a file and look at it. What were you using to monitor “Fan Desired”?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
The RPM comes down to about 800 and it is really lopey. I was using HPTuners to monitor fan settings and other parameters.

Sorry if i missed it, but your fan wiring is still stock right?

If yes, hp tuners can command the fans on and off using their diagnostic/scanner software.

It will be in something like special functions.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
And for the rear main.
I read that some complain about leaks due to wrong sequence when installing the pan.

I didn't understand exactly what they did wrong.
But from what i saw you used an alignment tool and should have been gtg.

Here is hoping for something not rear main seal that's leaking.

I also painted my block silver, that made seeing the oil leak very easy to spot.

Especially since i used an engine clear over that silver.
Oil yellowed the clearcoat badly, making it painfully obvious where the leak was... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9