Engine stalling in the heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbi 4.3l with 65k miles

Coolant temp is fine never over 190. Only just started yesterday with temps over 105

The truck will die sometimes when moving over 45 mph and sometimes when sitting at a light so speed and rpm are not related. and then wont start right away but does successfully start back up after 5 minutes or so and seems to run fine. It did this several times to me yesterday.

I initially was thinking it was vapor locking but that really shouldn't happen on a fuel injected setup.

I am guessing icm and have one on order from rockauto. Open to suggestions or ideas though.

I have done some searching and I think this is my most likely culprit.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Tbi 4.3l with 65k miles

Coolant temp is fine never over 190. Only just started yesterday with temps over 105

The truck will die sometimes when moving over 45 mph and sometimes when sitting at a light so speed and rpm are not related. and then wont start right away but does successfully start back up after 5 minutes or so and seems to run fine. It did this several times to me yesterday.

I initially was thinking it was vapor locking but that really shouldn't happen on a fuel injected setup.

I am guessing icm and have one on order from rockauto. Open to suggestions or ideas though.

I have done some searching and I think this is my most likely culprit.
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the icm? Does it have any codes?

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the icm? Does it have any codes?
Ignition control module. In the dizzy.

I left it at my parents house as they were much closer than mine and i didn't pull codes yet. Not expecting much out of the archaic obd1 but we shall see what a paperclip can tell me in the next couple of days.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ignition control module. In the dizzy.

I left it at my parents house as they were much closer than mine and i didn't pull codes yet. Not expecting much out of the archaic obd1 but we shall see what a paperclip can tell me in the next couple of days.
Ahh, good ol' paper clip.

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced ICM. Fixed. Has sat in stop and go traffic in 90F+ multiple times now.

Oem ICM appeared to have had the heat paste completely dry up. I suspect that is why it failed. Probably would have been fine if i had replaced the paste preemptively.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced ICM. Fixed. Has sat in stop and go traffic in 90F+ multiple times now.

Oem ICM appeared to have had the heat paste completely dry up. I suspect that is why it failed. Probably would have been fine if i had replaced the paste preemptively.

How'd you like to see that in the maintenance schedule of the owner's manual? "100,000 or every 5 years, whichever occurs first: Replace Ignition Control Module paste..."

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd you like to see that in the maintenance schedule of the owner's manual? "100,000 or every 5 years, whichever occurs first: Replace Ignition Control Module paste..."
Haha yeah. It probably should say that! This one was original. 25 years old. Id imagine far beyond what the engineers had planned for as a useful life.