Engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblover1327

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a engine light before I start the car. Never did that before. Ever since I got back to atlanta, the engine light turned on with the car off and goes away when I turn it on. I disconnected my battery but like a dum person I forgot to unhook the ground but unhooked the power. It was like that for a month. The problem is when I got to start my car it try to catch it starting and does and my alt starts charging at 14.8. When I turn of the car, the battery rests at 12.2v. Idk if this is a starter or battery problem. I know its not the alt since it charges fine.

rob71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The light is supposed to come on when you turn the ignition on without starting the engine, and turn off when the engine is running. That is normal and lets you know that the light works.

Are you saying that the engine light comes on even after you take the key out?

The voltage readings sound ok too, if you're going by the voltage gauge. The charging voltage will be higher when the weather is cold and for a while after you first start the engine. The resting voltage of 12.2 sounds just fine.

What exactly is the problem?

OP
OP
D

dblover1327

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turned out the battery was dead. lol. put it on a charger and it fine. Can't believe it was that haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo