Engine dies when hot, but may not have DTC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for a GMC dealership, and our guys aren't exactly sure what is the cause. Mine has thrown a trouble code. Something about the Crankshaft Position Sensor. But, it didn't throw the code every time. It's only died 3 times in a two week period. But, only after running for a while, and/or stopping for a short while, then starting again. Tomorrow we're going to replace the sensor. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW, I know my TB, and MAF are clean, fuel filter is only a year old, and fuel pump tests, up to *****.

Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, today. I didn't get 2 miles from work, when it died, AGAIN. THIS SUCKS!!!

Temps in the 90's, today. I was driving with the A/C on, when it died.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Please.

EJ

OP
OP
P

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

They finally put in my fuel pump. (Like I had asked, from the start. But, the tech talked me out of it.)
Drove home tonight, and made a couple of stops, to deliberately let the motor heat soak a coupe of times. Engine ran fine. No stalls, no stumbles, no errors. Anxious to see how it does at weekend errand running. *fingers crossed*

EJ

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fingers and toes crossed
if i were i betting man i would say the fuel pump was the culprit all these vehicles are notorious for there fuel pumps failing

OP
OP
P

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is why I bought my pump 2 years ago, after I bought the truck.
At that time, a tech at the dealership told me, there was a TSB for the harness. So, we just replaced that, back then. 163K and my fuel pump finally gave out.

So glad that's over with.

EJ

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah mine started to shit the bed about 130k it would take two turns of the key to get it started it would almost never start on the first turn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts