Engine bog on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I was driving down the interstate doing 70 sitting at around 2k rpm's. The engine started to shake suddenly and when I hit the gas it sounded like it was bogged down. If I slow down and gas it again it's fine at and above 2k rpm. No CEL. Any ideas where to start diagnosing?

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info first, what are you driving? miles, etc

So, below 2,000 rpm, is it rough? Only above it's smooth? You also make it sound like a one-time deal. Initial impression is the fuel system. Can you test the fuel system pressure? A good pump will run about 50 psi idling. How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed?

OP
OP
P

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 2k rpm doing 70 it bogs. If I drop down to let's say 55 and have it at 2k rpm it's fine.

99 Tahoe 4x4 143k miles. 5.7

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought... My Jeep did the same thing and i found it to be my catalytic converter. But I would check your Fuel Pressure first before diving into a $250+ part.

elsamurai

Reaction score
my old caprice would do that at random. thought it was the torque converter till i found out the engine was just starting to miss real bad occassionally. when was your last full tune up?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
of you have delco recommended parts on there you do not need to change your plugs for a 100,000 miles. did you get a "flashing" cel when it started to bog hard?

OP
OP
P

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I have gotten the flashing cel before. I was doing highway speeds also then but the engine did not bog like it this time.

This time I got no cel at all

All parts are Delco. Maybe I'll just replace the cap then

Speaking of the flashing cel the time it happened it flashed for 5 or so seconds then was just steady on. Then went away all together a couple days later so I never investigated it more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts