Electrical Gremlin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife called me today from a parking lot where our 2004 Tahoe was not starting, the starter cranked well but it would not fire up. I asked if she had gas, she looked at the gauge and said IT'S EMPTY! But she was certain it had 1/2 of tank when she parked it.

I said to get a gallon of gas in it and see if it starts, which she did but no luck. She then said that none of the gauges move when the key is on so I thought maybe the security system had shut it down, after several lock/unlock cycles the problem remained.

So I told her to try starting it in neutral, it fired right up and all the gauges were working properly; she indeed had plenty of gas.

I am thinking this is a failing neutral safety switch but I have never seen one that would engage the starter but not activate the dash gauges and fuel pump, I thought I would ask and see if anyone else had seen this or another issue that might match my symptoms better.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts