Electric Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm....I read through the links above and didn't get alot of guidance on specifics. Well, I guess I did learn that I could use LT1 or LS1 fans and I need to check out the size of my radiator.

The reason I'm looking into this is because I want to increase gas mileage...and I just like to mod vehicles. :)

Did you guys notice any increase in gas mileage? Also, explain the PCM thing? Where would I get it reprogrammed?

I saw a direct replacement on stylintrucks but they wanted around $625 and it came with instructions.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well fan units are around 450.00, I traded some work for mine but they are worth every penny I saw a 15 hp gain as far as MPG I stopped looking at it once it dropped under 13mpg but it like are motto says save gas OR go fast

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My entire set-up cost less than $100. I got two new 16" Pro-form fans and an adjustable thermostat. All the relays and wiring I had laying around, but even that stuff is cheap if you had to buy it. I got the fans from ebay and the thermostat control from Autozone.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My entire set-up cost less than $100. I got two new 16" Pro-form fans and an adjustable thermostat. All the relays and wiring I had laying around, but even that stuff is cheap if you had to buy it. I got the fans from ebay and the thermostat control from Autozone.

Now all we need is a "How-to" on this forum and you can do this to my truck while I take pictures. Then the whole forum can benefit.

About going fast, I'm not interested. I've owned a few mustangs and want another one. This truck cannot meet that desire so I'm not going to put money towards that goal.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
check out the local junk yards man... efans are sure to be laying around as the tahoe/yukon/escalade is a pretty common truck and the efans are in those in 2005 and 2006...

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

here is another option, and the one i am thinking about doing myself...

you can use the LS1 fans like this

ROD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem1c09a23793QQitemZ120420710291QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

it will require you to "custom" fit the shroud a bit but i have seen this done on "other" forums.. haha

after that you will need the wire harness and turn on the pins on the PCM

kd_unruh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up some fans from a 99 Firebird V-8 in a local salvage yard for around $70. I picked up the harness from Justin at Blackbear for around $80. I haven't put them in yet, but that's the amount I have sunk into this endeavor. Not bad. I'm hoping for a decent power gain and a little mileage boost.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I picked up some fans from a 99 Firebird V-8 in a local salvage yard for around $70. I picked up the harness from Justin at Blackbear for around $80. I haven't put them in yet, but that's the amount I have sunk into this endeavor. Not bad. I'm hoping for a decent power gain and a little mileage boost.

i would think you would see an MPG boost more then you would see a power gain

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JK How did you wire it up for the fans to come on?
I used an adjustable thermostat and two relays (one for each fan). I also wired it to the ac clutch so the fans turn on whenever the ac is on.
Each fan has its own relay and fused power supply. That way if one component goes out, the other fan is still active. The thermostat activates the relays to turn the fans on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyhoe24