EDIT: Helped me decide - went with Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s4cruiser

Reaction score
I am finally ready to place an order for a new SUV and found a local dealer that gets allocations regularly, will do supplier pricing and doesn't require extra BS to pad the price. Now I just need to decide which trim to go with.

I have narrowed it down to two choices, either this Z71 or AT4. They are both optioned very similarly or as similar as the supplier build tool allows but the AT4 does include a few notable extras - HUD, ventilated front seats, panoramic roof and power assist steps. Only the panoramic roof is available as an option for the Z71 but it appears the Z71 can't be ordered with HUD, ventilated front seats or power assist steps.

So...the AT4 with those extras or the Z71 for ~$7k less?? I don't really care about the panoramic roof, but the ventilated seats would be nice (my wife's 2020 Lexus GX has them). The HUD and power assist steps seem like a nice option but I've never had them on a vehicle so no real clue what (if anything) I am missing.

Are there other things the AT4 has (e.g. quality of leather, interior finishes, etc.) that make it worth the extra $$?

Appreciate any and all perspectives here!

Wwes

Reaction score
Which interior color are you going with?
The AT4 only has the black with umber inserts, whereas the Z71 can have the black or the cocoa dune brown (IMO a very nice combo).

Power assist steps are wonderful, and the HUD is nice to have but I regularly ignore it. My wife likes the ventilated seats more than I do, but I do like the perforated leather material.
The interior quality will be the same between the two.

The interior color would drive it for me - if price wasn't a concern, then if I was going black interior that'd be the only case in which I'd chose a AT4 over the Z71.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All yukons have Fog Lights, the Chevy's do not.
AT4 gets Magnetic Ride Control Standard
You have the option for the electronic Limited Slip Rear Diff (as part of the Premium Capability Package), but not sure if that is on your order or not.
You have the option for the Adaptive Air suspension on both, not sure if it is on your builds or not.
I enjoy the power running boards, have them on my denali. I believe they are available on the Tahoe as an option? They are optional on AT4, so you must have added a package that adds them? (AT Premium Plus Package?)
The GMC will have laminated front driver and passenger side windows, in addition to the windshield to help quiet the cabin.
The interior seats are probably a bit nicer on the GMC (will have slightly more leather--whole seat surface vs just the center panel).
You have the option for the 6.2L engine in either of them if you want it.

Those are probably the biggest differences.
Guessing the bulk of the price difference is the Sunroof and the Running Boards, that is $4k right there.

OP
OP
S

s4cruiser

Reaction score
Which interior color are you going with?
The AT4 only has the black with umber inserts, whereas the Z71 can have the black or the cocoa dune brown (IMO a very nice combo).

Power assist steps are wonderful, and the HUD is nice to have but I regularly ignore it. My wife likes the ventilated seats more than I do, but I do like the perforated leather material.
The interior quality will be the same between the two.

The interior color would drive it for me - if price wasn't a concern, then if I was going black interior that'd be the only case in which I'd chose a AT4 over the Z71.
Interior color will be black. Price isn't a real concern but I also don't like paying for something that I wouldn't really miss.

OP
OP
S

s4cruiser

Reaction score
All yukons have Fog Lights, the Chevy's do not.
AT4 gets Magnetic Ride Control Standard
You have the option for the electronic Limited Slip Rear Diff (as part of the Premium Capability Package), but not sure if that is on your order or not.
You have the option for the Adaptive Air suspension on both, not sure if it is on your builds or not.
I enjoy the power running boards, have them on my denali. I believe they are available on the Tahoe as an option? They are optional on AT4, so you must have added a package that adds them? (AT Premium Plus Package?)
The GMC will have laminated front driver and passenger side windows, in addition to the windshield to help quiet the cabin.
The interior seats are probably a bit nicer on the GMC (will have slightly more leather--whole seat surface vs just the center panel).
You have the option for the 6.2L engine in either of them if you want it.

Those are probably the biggest differences.
Guessing the bulk of the price difference is the Sunroof and the Running Boards, that is $4k right there.
Both optioned with mag ride, eLSD, air suspension and 6.2L.

Yes, added Premium plus package on the AT4 that gets the power assist steps. I will need to check with the dealer to see if power assists can be added to the Z71 (build tool didn't allow it).

Nice call out on the laminated windows...I was not aware of that. I prefer as quiet of a cabin as reasonably possible.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both optioned with mag ride, eLSD, air suspension and 6.2L.

Yes, added Premium plus package on the AT4 that gets the power assist steps. I will need to check with the dealer to see if power assists can be added to the Z71 (build tool didn't allow it).

Nice call out on the laminated windows...I was not aware of that. I prefer as quiet of a cabin as reasonably possible.
I didn't think eLSD was available on the Chevys. But I see it is now...

TXNJ

Reaction score
For me it honestly came down to ventilated seats, and a sun roof (wife's only request). we live in Dallas, so it's important. . I always liked the looks of the AT4 a bit more than the z71, but I could easily have lived with the z71, but for those ventilated seats. I'm not a brand loyal guy. We've had an Acadia since 2015. it's been...fine-ish. So for me I didn't have any dog in the fight heading in.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing.
All GMC's include 3 years of "connected services: OnStar, Wireless Data, etc" So this is about $1.25k if you bought it on the open market. Up to you whether it is a difference maker on not.
The Chevy's will include 1 or 3 months...then its on you.

Full Disclosure: I ended up going Denali after owning Chevy's forever...mostly based on exterior looks...its a personal thing, but I just liked the GMC better...and liked the upscaled Denali interior, and the availability of a lighter interior...If I was deciding between AT4 and Z71, the availability of a lighter interior may swing me toward stomaching the Chevy exterior...again, these are personal things..they are very similar...the GMC intended to be slightly more upscale...and thus commanding a bit more cash.

OP
OP
S

s4cruiser

Reaction score
For me it honestly came down to ventilated seats, and a sun roof (wife's only request). we live in Dallas, so it's important. . I always liked the looks of the AT4 a bit more than the z71, but I could easily have lived with the z71, but for those ventilated seats. I'm not a brand loyal guy. We've had an Acadia since 2015. it's been...fine-ish. So for me I didn't have any dog in the fight heading in.
This is my only real reason I keep considering the AT4...but for $7k more I cringe, sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972