duramax 3.0 fuel additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed it at the pump, but I haven't looked either (spec says they need to display at the pump)

I just read through the Top Tier spec https://www.toptiergas.com/diesel-licensed-brands/; the only spec's it calls out are: ASTM D975 or ASTM D7467 which are the standard specs for diesel types and biodiesel amounts, water monitoring, 10 micron filtering.

Reading the above,
Someone explain to me how an additive would address any Top Tier spec other then water intrusion? Or am I missing something? IE, I'm not seeing a spec around lubricity or cetane for example.
On gasoline it's the additive package of detergents that make it Top Tier.

I don't see anything about an additive package for diesel. Basically what makes top tier diesel is the filter micron rating and adherence to this "housekeeping" document for storage and dispensing. https://toptiergas.com/documents/10/CRC_672.pdf

DLAv8r

Reaction score
New to diesels. I've been running HS EDT since new last month. Hard to know the difference from when we first picked it up, but it is idling so smooth and quite. Hopefully EDT doesn't mess with the emission or regen process. I do read they claim it should lower soot. If anything, it helps boost the cetane as others mentioned.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned Duramax's going back to the LB7's, I have never used any additives except in cold weather to keep the diesel from gelling up. My son was the proud recipient of my LBZ, no additives, regular DELO for oil, and it just fiopped over 325,000. Other than regular maintenance, the only repairs so far have been a glow plug, both front axles, front ball joints, and the hydraboost was replaced. My mechanic is like I am, why add something else into the mix if it's already a proven design?

1PolarBear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 2021-2023 3 Duramax, as I understand block heater won’t turn on until 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I use Howes regular additive every other tank or maybe less frequently than that. A couple of OTR drivers said to use it once in a while. It’s easy to use, just 6 ounces dies a whole tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288