Dumb Question Struts Vs. Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjeremi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys will have to forgive me as all of this is a learning process and I am just trying to understand a bit more.

I recently put McGaughy 2" drop springs on the back of my Hyhoe (Thanks 07Burb) and now want to bring the front down an inch. It seems the way to go is to use these (drop/lifting struts):

http://www.belltech-store.com/products/lowering-lift-shock-7254.html

My question is why those and not these(drop springs):

http://www.belltech-store.com/products/pro-coil-spring-set-6980.html

Or maybe replace both?

I only ask because until now the only suspension work I have done is replace worn out shocks and farm boy weld a cracked leaf spring mount on a boat trailer. I recently did put TRD (performance springs) on my wifes prius (yes Prius, holding my head in shame) just to lower it and improve handling a little. The prius kit just replaced all four springs and did not change the front struts.

Anyway just wanted to see anybody had some knowledge to share and explained it my uneducated self. Thanks.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Struts have your springs attached and are in front. you can replace both, but I would use your factory springs and replace the struts.

I did 2" spindles up front and those drop struts. Contact Tony NorcalSS to get the best price on whatever you need.

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52

OP
OP
bjeremi

bjeremi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nathan, yeah I realize the struts have the springs attached. I am just wondering what the difference would be if you use the drop springs I linked for the front as opposed to the struts. Advantages/Disadvantages.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
factory springs up front will ride better than aftermarket

If your current struts have a lot of miles, might as well replace them anyways...

It's kinda like personal preference. to lower the front, you can do spindles, springs, struts, or a-arms. Each has there strengths and draw backs. depending on how low you go with springs or struts, you'll have to get a camber kit. You wont need those with spindles or a-arms. If you've got a lot of miles, you'll want new struts. Can buy factory struts and then some other lowering kit, or just get lowering struts.

OP
OP
bjeremi

bjeremi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, that's what I was looking for, thanks for the explanation. I've got 50k on the Tahoe and only want to go down an inch so the struts are what I wil do. I've emailed norcal already so hopefully that works out. He's also helping me out in my other thread so I don't have any Cali lean when towing.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, that's what I was looking for, thanks for the explanation. I've got 50k on the Tahoe and only want to go down an inch so the struts are what I wil do. I've emailed norcal already so hopefully that works out. He's also helping me out in my other thread so I don't have any Cali lean when towing.

He's helped me lower at least 3 of my past vehicles, so I'm sure he'll be great help.

I'm using my struts to go down about an inch. I was almost a full degree out of camber with my factory camber adjustment pushed all the way out. I bought the camber kit and now it's dead on.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score

Tony offers a mod for adjustment of factory struts if I recall correctly... He will have to clarify, I'm not sure if he is still offering this service.

btw you guys will see the 10 dollar front .5/1/1.5/2 inch drop ive been doing on these trucks for a while. If you can take the front shocks apart in house you can have a shop to this for cheap and yes it will be adjustable by the grooves.

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but if you go with the adjustalbe struts - you get your 1 inch, PLUS you can always change it later for no additional cost. The ones Tony sells come with 8 settings, each in 1/2 increment from +2inches to -2inches. You cant go wrong with this part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401