Driver's side heater temp has a mind of it's own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2011 Tahoe developed an issue where the driver's side heater randomly turns cold on its own.

If I move the temp control to cold and then back to hot, it will get hot, but only for a short time before it goes cold again.

Should I assume the blend door actuator is the problem? The passenger side seems ok, as well as the position (vent/defrost/floor). Just the temperature on the driver's side is erratic.

From what I have seen in some Youtube videos, hopefully this is the one down by the floor that's easy to access? And would the correct part number be 15798229?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 Tahoe developed an issue where the driver's side heater randomly turns cold on its own.

If I move the temp control to cold and then back to hot, it will get hot, but only for a short time before it goes cold again.

Should I assume the blend door actuator is the problem? The passenger side seems ok, as well as the position (vent/defrost/floor). Just the temperature on the driver's side is erratic.

From what I have seen in some Youtube videos, hopefully this is the one down by the floor that's easy to access? And would the correct part number be 15798229?

Automatic or manual? Automatic air temperature actuator for the driver and passenger side is: ACDelco 15-72971 or GM OE 89018365

It is indeed accessed from underneath the dash in the passenger's footwell, 5.5mm socket and 7mm or 8mm (can't remember) for the cover which is a pain to remove.

OP
OP
M

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it would be manual? It's actually an SSV, so pretty basic package. The temperature is controlled with a pair of vertical silver knobs.

My cover seems loose. I think someone has been in there before and left a screw out. Won't know for sure until I crawl under there though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be manual? It's actually an SSV, so pretty basic package. The temperature is controlled with a pair of vertical silver knobs.

My cover seems loose. I think someone has been in there before and left a screw out. Won't know for sure until I crawl under there though.

Ok, just to be sure, plug your VIN in here: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Go to Heating/AC and then Heater Core and Htr Control Vlv and then look at the actuators that match your RPO codes, might be the same, might not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n