Drain tranny to pull transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in a new monster transmission last week. I drove 900 miles to PA to see fam and I noticed the paper gasket between transmission tail adapter and transfer case is not doing its job. Can I get away with draining the transfer case and pulling it off to properly refinish the surface and get rid of the old gasket material like I was to rushed to do before? How much fluid is actually in the tail end of the transmission?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
That area should be dry inside. It’s either a leaking output seal on the trans or more likely the old input seal on the transfer case. I just experienced exactly this problem when a new trans went in. The transfer case seal was not leaking before, but it started leaking after reassembly. Old seals get stiff and may start leaking when the shaft is removed and reinstalled.

Axm1096

Reaction score
If there is fluid under the trans mout where can thst be coming from

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the trans seal is leaking, it could drain 2-3 qts when u unbolt tcase. If fluid is dirty change Tcase seal too and hope you didn't wreck trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos