Double Din install, help please :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some expert advice, which is why I'm asking here.
I have an 2004 Tahoe LT with Bose and Onstar, now I am looking at getting a new deck, and would like to pic up a $200ish Double Din DVD, (Ton on craigslist near me at this price)
I know i need to get adapters $100ish for Door chimes+Onstar
And also $50ish for adapter to run the steering wheel controls.

Here is my question. How difficult is it to install once I have all the parts? I installed my ****** Hardwire kit with no major problems and know how to take the complete dash off. Would it just be a plug-and-play application once I get all the adapters and parts? Also, can I plug the stock Head-unit back in with-out it getting "locked out" and needing dealer code?

Also, I heard the double din fits perfect in 03-06, so that is why I'm looking at it. If not, would it be just as easy to install a Single Din Flip-out screen Deck?

Would this make it fit perfect? http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-2006-Chevy-Tahoe-Double-DIN-Radio-Install-Kit_W0QQitemZ200358195380QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090706?IMSfp=TL090706116006r14892

Last edited:

pjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o ur gonna put a tv in those 2 cubie holes right above the cup holders i want to installa touch screen gps rite there

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A DD will be just as easy to install as a single din in the 03+ trucks. Once you connect the new HU harness to your integration harness, the rest is plug n play.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
A DD will be just as easy to install as a single din in the 03+ trucks. Once you connect the new HU harness to your integration harness, the rest is plug n play.

Anything hard about connecting the new HU harness to your integration harness? Happen to know of any write-ups on this?

Found this too:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Orange
Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Class 2 Serial Data
Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: N/A
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: Dark Green
Radio Amplifier Trigger Wire: Pink (If equipped, the amplifier is under the center console.)
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Green
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Light Blue

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use an integration module to retain the rap feature, chimes, On-star, Bose, etc, the wire colors on the module and your new HU harness are aftermarket industry standard and will be the same. Just match them up and splice together. If you don't use an integration module, you'll have to run your own +12vdc accessory wire and integrate into the BOSE system or run your own amps. Make sure the module you get will work with BOSE; some will and some won't.
You'll also need an antenna adapter along with a DD dash kit.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
If you use an integration module to retain the rap feature, chimes, On-star, Bose, etc, the wire colors on the module and your new HU harness are aftermarket industry standard and will be the same. Just match them up and splice together. If you don't use an integration module, you'll have to run your own +12vdc accessory wire and integrate into the BOSE system or run your own amps. Make sure the module you get will work with BOSE; some will and some won't.
You'll also need an antenna adapter along with a DD dash kit.

So, basically with the correct harness and wires it should be 1 Hour job?

This is what I'm looking at getting:+
h110V8023HD-f-mt.jpg
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110V8023HD/Jensen-VM8023HD.html Because it has HD radio, Ipod support included which are usually like 75 in extras.

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS04/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html which I get for $49.99 with purchase of that deck. and the Antenna adapter and Mounting bracket is free

Also, Do I just ground the "brake to watch video" cable so it's enabled all the time?

Whats your opinion JK on this set-up or anyone else :)

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Install time will depend on your experience. 15 mins for me. If this is your first time, you should be able to get it in within an hour.
Jensen has come up the past couple years. Their products are much better than they were a few years ago. I haven't played with that particular model yet, so I'm not familiar with the features and the particular sequence for the parking brake lead for the video. Some units need to see ground on the parking brake input lead to show video. Some need to see gnd, off, then gnd again before the video will show. This will make a difference on how you hook it up if you want to show video while not parked.

sdgd711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Jensen needed a switch to bypass the parking brake. I think the sequence was start in off postion, on, off, on. They may have changed that, it has been a few years since I put one in. You may also be able to use a PAC TR7 and it will do it automatically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076