Don’t forget to flush your brake system - 3yrs or 45k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I’m **** about routine maintenance with all my cars. Just flushed the brake fluid from all 4 calipers this morning.

The pedal feels more firm and I was surprised. Normally I can’t tell, so there’s proof it was a good time to do it.

51k on my 2015 Yukon. Manual states to do this service at 45k or 3 years, whichever comes first.

Brake fluid is typically clear, unless you’re using specialty stuff like ATE Blue.... here is what came out, glad I did it.

892CCBAA-98CC-40F1-AEC3-24A54AC4DD46.jpeg 12D9EF64-E365-4098-848D-D14193240BF0.jpeg

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...forgot to mention, don’t forget to grease the 2 zerk fittings to the left of the hub - fronts only.

I believe these are the only 2 serviceable lube points on the suspension...

Nickfire20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...forgot to mention, don’t forget to grease the 2 zerk fittings to the left of the hub - fronts only.

I believe these are the only 2 serviceable lube points on the suspension...

Sounds good, looks nasty

Thank you!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I’m **** about routine maintenance with all my cars. Just flushed the brake fluid from all 4 calipers this morning.

The pedal feels more firm and I was surprised. Normally I can’t tell, so there’s proof it was a good time to do it.

51k on my 2015 Yukon. Manual states to do this service at 45k or 3 years, whichever comes first.

Brake fluid is typically clear, unless you’re using specialty stuff like ATE Blue.... here is what came out, glad I did it.

View attachment 194502 View attachment 194503

Dumb question. What does it get dirty? It’s a closed system isn’t it?

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid breaks down from heat. Brakes get Hot!

Plus, I think air does deep from the reservior cap- minute amount over time.

OP
OP
SuperOldSchool

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you go about flushing the brakes, anyway?

There are tons of descriptions online. Basically suck old fluid out of reservoir.
Refill with new.
Bleed brakes starting with caliper farthest from reservoir- bleed until fluid runs clean.

Several ways to bleed - helper pumping pedal,vacuum bleeder, pressure bleeder.

Search - how to flush brake system or bleeding brakes procedure...

Last edited:

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake fluid absorbs moisture, that is its big killer, the more moisture the less pressure the system has...

kentman

Reaction score
I do the fluid every two years. I have new speed bleeders that I am going to install next month and do the fluid. I am hoping that the Yukon XL brake lines are better than the Pontiac lines were. I had two Pontiacs previously, and both had major rust-through issues in the lines about ten years out on each.