Dog challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ran into my first "problem" with my '21 Denali. Our girl (Golden Retriever) doesn't ride in the way back as she like to be close. We had a truck and she had the whole rear floor. Now we have the captain's chairs in the second row. Folding the seats forward doesn't leave as much room AND you can feel the seat rails through the bed.

I'm thinking about carpeting a piece of plywood that covers the space between the captain chairs when they are folded down and putting her bed on that.

SO... has anyone run into this situation and have you developed a good dog strategy?

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a crazy (extremely high energy) Australian Sheperd who I would not trust to ride in a vehicle without being in a crate. So we just put a crate in the back, and the dog goes in the crate. Since he's been traveling in the crate since he was a puppy, he's fine with it.

As for your particular situation... that's tricky. So no advice from me as I don't know the temperament of your dog.

Jhy143

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for a similar suggestion. Originally thinking about putting a box of some sort in between the captains chair but have not found a good solution yet.

Reaction score
I don't know how different the middle seat setup is on the new models, but on my 2012 when I flip/tumble the middle seats for my dog to lay on the floor between them and the 3rd row, I throw a couple of her blankets down. I have the Husky floor liners and they have a little cutout/recessed area where the seat latch rod sticks up a bit, but the blankets cover it good enough.

Also, the flipped forward middle row seats will fall back down if accelerating a bit heavy (or get rear ended), so I also use a small bungy cord hooked between the front seat headrest post and middle row seat child seat attachment point to keep the seat from falling back down and squishing the dog.

OP
OP
jayoco

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know how different the middle seat setup is on the new models, but on my 2012 when I flip/tumble the middle seats for my dog to lay on the floor between them and the 3rd row, I throw a couple of her blankets down. I have the Husky floor liners and they have a little cutout/recessed area where the seat latch rod sticks up a bit, but the blankets cover it good enough.

Also, the flipped forward middle row seats will fall back down if accelerating a bit heavy (or get rear ended), so I also use a small bungy cord hooked between the front seat headrest post and middle row seat child seat attachment point to keep the seat from falling back down and squishing the dog.
I’ll try the floor liners. Great call on the bungy cord! Thanks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a situation similar to what @gooffeyguy stated, except that I use a combination of cheap door mats in that area freed up by flipping up the 2nd row seats.

Also, for between the captain's chairs, I installed a custom sized subwoofer box, carpeted in a color similar to the interior carpet of the truck. My dogs love to sit on the subwoofer box (as evidenced by all of the dog hair), and look over my shoulder out the front windshield. So, I got 2 benefits for the effort of one.

Sub-woofer Enclosure.jpg

Sub-woofer - Bottom View.jpg

(The door mats were temporarily removed, to show the subwoofer in its entirety.)

Joe Butcher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned a 95',05',and 13' Tahoe. We have owned 2 Rottweilers! It has always easy for them to enter the passenger rear door with a good solid jump with the 2nd row folded and the 3rd row removed. Looking at the 21, the neighbors vehicle, my Rott does not even want to attempt it. ....With metal framing on the floor and a narrow aspect opening she just "locks" and does not want to go. There iis really No traction surface at opening. She is too heavy to lift...we once had a ramp and that was no go also. Curious to hear from other owners with big dogs and a new Tahoe.

Idolan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a Gunner kennel for your dog. She won't turn into a missle if your in an accident and they are rated for serious impact in case of an accident. I upgraded from a Gunner to a two dog TNC Kennel that is custom built to the exact size and hold my German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois.

Also Land Rover has a collapsible ramp that is amazing and is good for dogs to 180lbs.

509Yukon

Reaction score
We have the Land Rover collapsible ramp for our Bernese Mountain Dog, that ramp doesn't flinch when he bounds up it or races down. It includes a retention strap you can clip to one of the cargo hooks at the door to prevent it from shifting to much as your dog goes up and down. Expensive but very high build quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157