Do the 2018 models have the booming/buffeting/vibration issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Averett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently found this TSB online for the fix for the roof, and this is rather scary on a $70k+ truck.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4011/wind-buf...-andor-water-leak-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Speaking of which...has anyone nailed down a correct sequence of fixes (roof bows, road force balance, exhaust dampers, differential, etc.) that resolves the issue, or is it unique to each truck (if present at all)?

Thanks for the help guys!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cause is specific to each truck and even each owner as some notice it more than others. Not too many on here reporting problems with the 2018s.

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently found this TSB online for the fix for the roof, and this is rather scary on a $70k+ truck.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4011/wind-buf...-andor-water-leak-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Speaking of which...has anyone nailed down a correct sequence of fixes (roof bows, road force balance, exhaust dampers, differential, etc.) that resolves the issue, or is it unique to each truck (if present at all)?

Thanks for the help guys!
Good to know TSB. No problems on my 2018 Denali, all quiet for now.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished renting a 2018 Yukon xl with the SLT trim level, no issues at all. One thing I did notice from the 2017 Suburban I own is the throttle response was more instant. The vehicles had the same drivetrain and rear axle ratio.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40,000 miles on my 2016 Tahoe LTZ, no trace of buffeting. I installed roof rack cargo rails when new...dont know if that had affect or not, but have never, ever, noticed buffeting; not even once. No trace whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as it has been mentioned many times, it really comes down to the individual. I've been in many trucks where the owner/driver states they don't hear or feel anything while to me it was annoying as hell. Many say their truck doesn't have it but in reality it might they just don't sense/notice it. Bottom line, it doesn't affect all. I will say the many I've been in some are much worse than others.

I can only recommend to drive the truck for a couple days at all speeds and then decide. Good Luck!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only recommend to drive the truck for a couple days at all speeds and then decide. Good Luck!

Unfortunately no dealer I know will let you keep their vehicle for a couple of days while you make up your mind.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every dealer around here allows overnight if requested. Plus why not go for multiple drives.

skifast900

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We did borrow a 2018 Yukon Denali for a long weekend and upon return to dealer, and not ready to buy, they filled it up and told up to keep for the week. We did later buy the truck new in Dec 2017 and have 8k miles to date. Very pleased, not vibs or buffeting, as I was concerned as well.
This is our 6th Gm big suv over the years and the most refined yet in many aspects. It also get impressive mileage over our 2007 and 2013 we had, and much quicker. Overall average 15-16 in town and 20-24 hwy, better is you slow down ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094