Do I need a new cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richmagtah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys , was wondering if I can get some input . I have a 2011 Tahoe with 138k miles. It is giving me codes p0153 and p1153 and p1516. It has misfires and sometimes loss of power at take off, and a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak when I accelerate. When I put it in neutral the misfires and rpm surge are not as noticeable. I replaced all O2 sensors to see if that was the problem but it still has the same codes and same problem. I did a temp check before and after the cats. The driver side is running 425 degrees before cat and and 400 degrees after the cat the passenger side is running a lot lower temps 275 before and 325 after cat.. My question is would an exhaust leak cause these codes and these symptoms or does it seem that I need a new catalytic converter? Don’t want to spend money on a new cat if it’s something else . Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are not cat codes, 2 are 02 codes and one a throttle body code
an exhaust leak could be part of the problem, bad throttle body, even the maf can make it throw these codes, could be a burnt wire, bad connection, bad ground. could even be something else entirely....not sure maybe if the cat/s were plugged, you can pull the bank1 02 sensor and look in there with a camera and see what the cat's honeycomb look like
have you checked your battery cables?
p0153 02 slow response
p1153 02 insufficient switching
p1516 throttle actuator control performance
did you clear the codes after replacing the 02 sensors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods