Difference in tire rating: 115T vs 121S?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
Looking at tires, so for something like a Nitto Terra Grappler G2 for example:

1) 265 /70 R17 115T SL BSW $159
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-terra-grappler-g2/p/10202
Tread depth 13
Tread grade 600
Load index 115
65,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 44

2) LT265 /70 R17 121S E1 BSW $196
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-terra-grappler-g2/p/10442
Tread depth 16
Tread grade n/a
Load index 121
50,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 80

RWD Z71 with primary use as short city trips on the weekend. Occasionally towing 2000 pound boat 1-3 hours. Possibly once a year road-trip 800 miles round trip (non-towing).

What's #2 have that I would want or need to justify the extra $$$?

Thanks,
JB

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score

Tread depth 13
Tread grade 600
Load index 115
65,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 44

Tread depth 16
Tread grade n/a
Load index 121
50,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 80

RWD Z71 with primary use as short city trips on the weekend. Occasionally towing 2000 pound boat 1-3 hours. Possibly once a year road-trip 800 miles round trip (non-towing).

Thanks,
JB

Looking at their website, looks like the LT is a deeper tread, weighs 5 lbs more and a load capacity of about 500 lbs more. (3195 vs 2679). I think I see the difference now. Before all I saw was a higher load index

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 is a heavier construction tire. LT is Light Truck, designed for more light truck duties. In general; The first tire is more for "car style driving", on road, light to no loads, to give better street traction, quieter, smoother ride. LT tires are more for light truck duties; off-roading tougher tire so it won't get punctured by rocks, stiffer sidewalls to keep shape under heavy loads (bed load and towing), a harsher ride but more durable, more road noise. As long as you don't do any heavier loads than your boat: Your SUV is about 5000 lbs CURB weight with most of that up front (additional weight is fluids, people, and other than spare tire, rear diff fluid, and about 160lbs for a full tank, about all the additional weight is up front). You are, I would guess around 2200-2400lbs for the rear weight. You could probably find actual weight from people or front/rear distribution if you wanted to search for it. ROUGHLY, that's about 1100-1200 lbs for each rear tire, so that would give you 1579-1479 lbs left under the rated for each tire.

EDIT: so heres what I wrote:
Gives you enough for a 3000lb 'boat with trailer' a cooler, some polls, a case of beer, and 38 lures...…
BUT THATS TOWING CAPACITY AND NOT TONGUE WEIGHT....

Personally, I think you are fine, but I would get more detailed weight information for the boat and try to find distribution split so you know for sure. You should be able to exceed the tire rating slightly and still be safe, but if you exceed it by even a single pound, and get into an accident... TECHNICALLY, that would be on you for overloading your tires

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
#2 is a heavier construction tire. LT is Light Truck, designed for more light truck duties. In general; The first tire is more for "car style driving", on road, light to no loads, to give better street traction, quieter, smoother ride. LT tires are more for light truck duties; off-roading tougher tire so it won't get punctured by rocks, stiffer sidewalls to keep shape under heavy loads (bed load and towing), a harsher ride but more durable, more road noise. As long as you don't do any heavier loads than your boat: Your SUV is about 5000 lbs CURB weight with most of that up front (additional weight is fluids, people, and other than spare tire, rear diff fluid, and about 160lbs for a full tank, about all the additional weight is up front). You are, I would guess around 2200-2400lbs for the rear weight. You could probably find actual weight from people or front/rear distribution if you wanted to search for it. ROUGHLY, that's about 1100-1200 lbs for each rear tire, so that would give you 1579-1479 lbs left under the rated for each tire.

EDIT: so heres what I wrote:
Gives you enough for a 3000lb 'boat with trailer' a cooler, some polls, a case of beer, and 38 lures...…
BUT THATS TOWING CAPACITY AND NOT TONGUE WEIGHT....

Personally, I think you are fine, but I would get more detailed weight information for the boat and try to find distribution split so you know for sure. You should be able to exceed the tire rating slightly and still be safe, but if you exceed it by even a single pound, and get into an accident... TECHNICALLY, that would be on you for overloading your tires
Great information, thank you!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tread depth 13
Tread grade 600
Load index 115
65,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 44

Tread depth 16
Tread grade n/a
Load index 121
50,000 mile warranty
Max PSI 80

Thanks,
JB

The first tire has a smaller load rating but a higher speed rating. It can take higher speeds for a longer time compared with the other.

What's more important is that these are two completely different tires. One is a P-Metric tire which is well suited for the kind of driving and towing you mention. The LT Tire is a different animal and is more suited for off-highway use. Both can tow well.

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
The first tire has a smaller load rating but a higher speed rating. It can take higher speeds for a longer time compared with the other.

What's more important is that these are two completely different tires. One is a P-Metric tire which is well suited for the kind of driving and towing you mention. The LT Tire is a different animal and is more suited for off-highway use. Both can tow well.

That's great to know. Thank you sir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE