Diesel performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi ive got a 1996 chevy tahoe 6.5td, ive bought the heath performance chip and Max e-torc, wondering to Get a new camshaft also, is there anything i must do to the cooling system or will it manage it? Ive got a cooling unit from a 99mod (not installed) any pointers of what to do?
27aebc7e2dabddda9e37b9cc209ef4be.jpg
b0fcf0c820c2c2945a4aa00b199ced9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Rare beast right there. Welcome. No idea what so ever on how to help you out.

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
The 6.5 is an IDI motor. In the diesel world it has become obsolete. There really isn't much you can do for power, and the "chip" won't do a whole lot for you. You would have to spend big bucks just to get to where a duramax starts.

That being said just take care of it as it is, and she will be very reliable.

I have spent my time in the diesel world, and there is just no power to be made, and even if you do spend $10k plus, you'd only be pushing MAYBE 400hp. If you're looking for power, by a duramax.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks is not worth the money...

Uhhhh that depends on application sir!
I ran their Big Hoss intake on my LB7.... Worth Every Penny. At the time of purchasing (possibly still today), they were the ONLY company making them.

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a performance cam for the 6.5L. It's a very low-revving engine with no throttle plates and a turbocharger. It's pushing about all the air it can get.

I have Kennedy Diesel's chip on my 6.5L, and that helps quite a bit, especially since I installed the Turbomaster mechanical wastegate controller on the turbocharger. The PCM didn't like that very much, and this got rid of the check engine lights.

Check out www.thedieselpage.com for more info. They built a 6.5L a few years ago to squeeze all the power they could out of it, and managed about 300hp. It's an old-school engine, but very reliable (once you get past the funky electronic injection pump).

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn