Did I just get ripped off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had three brake lines replaced. It came to $850 bucks. Everyone else quoted around $500 but could not do it for a couple of weeks. When I looked at the work, it sucked. Went to the RM. he used Mitchels for labor. Is Mitchel the high book they use or is it fair? Another book?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You have a copy of the RO? It should break down the cost of Parts, labor, material and hazard waste of any

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were those easy to access brake lines or the ones that run throughout the truck? 850 is pretty stiff, 500 would have been more reasonable but it depends on what brake lines they replaced. doesn't matter how you look at it the house always wins. Which is why I do most of my own work whenever possible.

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the four that are on the front of the truck, bought the pre bent stainless steel kit for 120 thru napa and paid my mechanic 240 in labor, however I did call the local gm shop and they wanted 750 to replace the same 4. I paid half and I have the rest of the lines for if/when the rest of the factory lines break.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You paid for availability/convenient as mentioned by OP, you did not pay for a sloppy repair. Have them make adjustments to your satisfaction.
Labor guidelines are calculated by
Mitchell's or Chilton. Normally, Mitchell manuals are Body Shop related, Chilton are know for the Mechanical labor. Have them verify comparison of the two manuals. For the price you paid, don't just walk away without some satisfaction
David g.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts