Denali AWD System Set Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garret813

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has technical details on how this system works. Is there a transfer case, what's the front / rear power split ratios, how's the front diff set up, etc. I'm also wondering if anyone has done, or heard of, converting the system from full time AWD to selectable AWD. I know we are never going to get great mpg in a Yukon XL, but I bet we could pick up 3+ mpg by disengaging the full time system. We really don't need the AWD where we live but it would be nice to have the option for emergencies.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All four wheels in the AWD system are connected by differentials so no transfer case. Traction control is used to limit wheel spin, but it does so by reducing engine power and/or applying brakes.

I have not seen any specs regarding what the power split is front to rear. Not sure what you mean by how the front diff is setup.

IMO setting up AWD to 2wd (selectable AWD) would be difficult not only the mechanical part (replace center diff with transfer case), but also in regards to the sensors. There are so many electrical nannies I would expect something would be off. Also, I am not sure how the sensors would react to manual hubs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019