Dark Ash '22 Tahoe. Thoughts after a few days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oaktree

Reaction score
For the past 20 years I've purchased Audi/MB's but primarily BMW's until I purchased a Jeep Trackhawk in '18. So take my comments with a grain of salt based on experiences.

Anyway, I needed a larger vehicle for the family and I ordered a Tahoe.

Pro's - quiet, smooth, great radio/gauge interface, Borla exhaust adds a nice grumble. Active cruise is very smooth unlike the Jeep. HUD display is large and simple. The leather dash is a nice touch. The room for 4 people is awesome and I love the looks. Charging mat on the console is large and convenient. I like the color combination of Dark Ash and black leather. I don't think I'm going to blacken any of the chrome parts, maybe new wheels. I think the Xpel tint 70%-25%-55% looks great.

Con's - no automatic high beam, seating position is ok at best - pedals need to adjust or the steering wheel needs to come farther out, Im 6-5. Chevy perf. exhaust isn't worth the $. Brakes are incredibly numb and lack any feel. I'd like a thicker steering wheel. Wind noise is much higher at freeway (70-80) speeds than anticipated, so quiet around town. The 6.2 must have a 50lb flywheel, I hate taking my foot off the gas and it keeps accelerating. The transmission needs more refinement. I get some weird shifts from a start, either 1-2 or 2-3, I’m not sure what it starts in. I have some trim that is a good 1/4 inch from aligning.

Overall, it's a solid vehicle, moves my kids to school, practices and the grocery store. We have our first road trip this Saturday and hope its as great as I think it will be. I have no regrets at this time but my wife wanted to know why we didn't just buy an X7.

Here are some additional pics. The Brembo's aren't in yet so I cannot comment on them.

If anyone has questions, fire away.

Attachments

• IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7285.jpeg
    IMG_7285.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7359.jpeg
    IMG_7359.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7358.jpeg
    IMG_7358.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

SFLOY001

Reaction score
For the past 20 years I've purchased Audi/MB's but primarily BMW's until I purchased a Jeep Trackhawk in '18. So take my comments with a grain of salt based on experiences.

Anyway, I needed a larger vehicle for the family and I ordered a Tahoe.

Pro's - quiet, smooth, great radio/gauge interface, Borla exhaust adds a nice grumble. Active cruise is very smooth unlike the Jeep. The leather dash is a nice touch. The room for 4 people is awesome and I love the looks. Charging mat on the console is large and convenient. I like the color combination of Dark Ash and black leather. I think the Xpel tint 70%-25%-55% looks great.

Con's - no automatic high beam, seating position is ok at best - pedals need to adjust or the steering wheel needs to come farther out, Im 6-5. Borla exhaust isn't worth the $. Brakes are incredibly numb. The 6.2 must have a 50lb flywheel, I hate taking my foot off the gas and it keeps accelerating.

It's a solid vehicle, moves my kids to school and practices well. No regrets at this time.

Here are some additional pics. The Brembo's aren't in yet so I cannot comment on them.

If anyone has questions, fire away.
if you push back twice on it you should have auto high beam

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you push back twice on it you should have auto high beam
I was gonna say - I think all the way down to LS trim you get auto-high beams... Double check the window sticker, but it should be there under the Safety and Security features.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great review, especially the Con's, I can relate.

LianaD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so do you see blue in person? I was hoping it was dark grey

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the high country needs more chrome in my opinion. LT, premier, and HC are literally all the same exterior minus grill and rims. I do like the dark ash tho, very similar to the old Tungsten. Was my wife’s favorite color and they stopped it for a while, surprised she didn’t make me trade the 21 for a 22 lol

Last edited:

carsenault300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it looks like there are purple undertones when in bright sunlight ... but at night, parked in the driveway under our house lights, i see way more blue undertones, almost like a stormy sky dark blue/gray

and thanks for the tip on the auto high beams, i had been wondering about that and had not took the time to read thru the manual yet

Cabinetman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks into my 2022 Z71 with the 6.2, and I agree with your assessment. The steering needs to move further out or the pedals need to move in. I'm only 6'2", but I still can't get the driving position exactly where I want it. Of course, I couldn't get adaptive cruise on the Z71 trim, and I do miss it sometimes. My son's Civic has it, so it seems pretty lame that my $73k Tahoe does not.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks into my 2022 Z71 with the 6.2, and I agree with your assessment. The steering needs to move further out or the pedals need to move in. I'm only 6'2", but I still can't get the driving position exactly where I want it. Of course, I couldn't get adaptive cruise on the Z71 trim, and I do miss it sometimes. My son's Civic has it, so it seems pretty lame that my $73k Tahoe does not.
Ford made their adaptive cruise control (Co-Pilot360) standard on the XLT trim with the '22 refresh. Hopefully this forces the hand at GM to make it standard on lower trims as well. Many other manufacturers have made adaptive cruise control standard on all trims, as you mentioned Honda being one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645