Cutting my cat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gona be getting my cat cut off soon, did anyone notice a difference in sound or power when getting theirs cut? My yukon has 80k miles on it so im assuming its clogged.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cats will last a pretty long time. My truck has 182K miles with the original cats. At 80k I doubt yours are clogged, but then again, random shit does happen. Anyways, you would most likely notice a difference in sound. It would probably end up sounding more aggressive. As for power, you might gain some high-end at the cost of your low-end. I guess it depends on how you set everything up.

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I cut off my cats the exhaust got a little louder but now it pops when you let off the gas after revving it up real high. It seems to accelerate faster when I step on it going about 60 or 70.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Bad choice on doing that without getting your truck tuned for it. T
If you get it tuned right, you'll rid of any codes and the popping and anything else.

OP
OP
99denali

99denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input, once i get them off and ill see about getting a BBT for it if the little engine light drives me crazy.

nikel

Reaction score
I thought this was an issue on my 98 hoe. I took off the cats and hooked up a shop vac to gauge the amount of air going through. No change. It is not likely they are clogged unless you are constantly throwing smoke out the tail pipe... and i mean thick smoke; like that kind that would scare most people.

my .02 worth. But on the 98 both cats are extremely high flow.

Forgot to mention I have over 200k on my truck; stock cats.

OP
OP
99denali

99denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, there probably not clogged but Ive decided Im still going to cut them off.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the cats are fine......but you're going to cut them off anyway? why

OP
OP
99denali

99denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just cause i can basically, for a deeper/louder sound and hopefully a tad more power.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well technically you can, but it is a violation of federal law ;)
as for gains....... you're not going to gain anything other than an obnoxiously loud truck that vibrates the shit out of everything inside. been there and its not worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roady24