Cut Tire w/less than 500 Miles on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This cant be coincidence. There is a youtuber that took a new caddy with those offroad. In his youtube video he got a flat. Guess where? On the sidewall. Looked like someone punctured it but tpms went off and is why he looked. Dont know it they have same tires??

7A867A05-AEFD-473F-A271-7E2BF7315AD3.png

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This cant be coincidence. There is a youtuber that took a new caddy with those offroad. In his youtube video he got a flat. Guess where? On the sidewall. Looked like someone punctured it but tpms went off and is why he looked. Dont know it they have same tires??

Thats why I brought up that this tire should be carefully and professionally examined...Slashed or cut by something, no big deal. Came apart? Huge deal with huge implications...Consumer safety issue?

Also these tires get terrible ratings on tire rack.com....

Last edited:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats why I brought up that this tire should be carefully and professionally examined...Slashed or cut by something, no big deal. Came apart? Huge deal with huge implications...Consumer safety issue?

Also these tires get terrible ratings on tire rack.com....
I’m remembering Firestone tires about 20 or so years ago. People couldn’t give them away on a Ford Explorer for a while.

cdgtahoe

Reaction score
I have 2 tires with small slash on edge at top. Check my tires a lot to make it is not getting any bigger.

awgunman75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I got my new 2021 Tahoe Premiere about 2.5 weeks ago and took it on it's first road trip down to a friend's place about 60 miles away and when we were driving around that city, we parked somewhere and I could hear air coming out of one of my 22" tires.

We were next to Sam's Club so asked them if they could patch it quick...they checked it out and somehow the tire is split from the tread area through the sidewall. The tire lady there who looked at it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but made the comment she's never seen anything like this before on the inside of the tire.

These 22" tires are Bridgestone Alena 275 50 R22 tires which nobody seemed to have in-stock after calling around to 5 places in that larger community. We managed to get it back to his house where we put the spare tire on using his floor jack (as removing the spare tire on this 2021 is the same amount of fun it was on my 2007) and I had no issues driving it home. The sad part is I'm replacing a tire that looks like wil cost slightly more than $300 on a vehicle that currently has less than 600 miles on it. :)

I'm going to call my GM dealer on Monday and see if they can get one ordered/installed. My questions are with this being a full-size spare tire (even though the spare is 17"), I'm assuming that I can drive on it without issue for a few days or up to a week since it's a regular tire? Also, I'm including a photo of the gash on the inside of the tire...curious if anyone else has seen this with their 22" Bridgestone tires. I'm guessing there's no road hazard or any type of warranty on these tires unless it's deemed a defect, correct?

Thanks!

View attachment 278686
Yes the spare and tire combination are the same overall diameter so you should have no issues driving it for a few days

OP
OP
Micahsd

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the spare and tire combination are the same overall diameter so you should have no issues driving it for a few days

Thanks...so far I've got 150 miles on it without any issues. Aside from it looking like crap, it doesn't seem to drive too much different.

OP
OP
Micahsd

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the dealer should have a replacement tire for me by tomorrow.

Hopefully, this isn't the norm for me...if another one goes out, I think I'll switch to the Pirelli's which someone else suggested (I checked out the reviews on these tires and yeah, they don't sound the best...can't believe they'd use tires like this on their higher-end models).