Cranks but no start...continued *SOLVED*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtimko57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I got an all stock 98 Tahoe 5.7L. To start, a few months ago the thing just died on me during a short trip. It turns over but wouldn't start. I have since replaced multiple ignition components (alternator tested fine, distributor cap, ICM, etc...). I ran the complete troubleshooting procedure for the ignition system and all signals checked out perfect. The fuel pump was about 2 years old, less than 10k miles (just use it as my get dirty work horse). Since it has been dead and sitting, the fuel filter was replaced as well. It sat there most of winter, while I would go poke around at it here and there on nicer days. Still cranking but no signs of starting.

Finally I got ahold of a local shop to get it towed to because I gave up and it sitting there is starting to get in the way. I called AAA to come get it and the driver was chatting with me about the problem. He walked right over to the fuel tank, banged on it a few times, and it fired right up!!!! He said I ought to get the pump replaced. OK well I kept the Tahoe to do the pump replacement myself. I let the Tahoe run for about a half hour while I did yard work. I shut it off and it started right back up. A few hours later my wife and I were going to take it for a spin. Wouldn't start again! Tried the banging trick and nothing. Turns over and cranks but hear no signs of wanting to start. I order my new pump and just got it all back together today. Fired up after a few cranks but quickly died. It went back to the cranking with no signs of start. After about 5 minutes it started up and would only stay running with me giving it gas. This lasted for about a minute and it died again. Now it is back to the cranking with no signs of trying to start. I am stumped at this point.

I thought it was solved!!!! Also previous to the engine dying off a few months ago, I has ZERO signs of anything going bad, just up and stopped working out of no where. Fired right up every time and ran like a beauty.

OP
OP
M

mtimko57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
oem. I can hear it also working when I turn the key to on.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I find ChrisFix videos helpful. Here’s a great video of his that may shed some light on the issue for you...

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to ask a very silly question, but you did put more gas into the fuel tank after putting the pump back in, right? If so, how much?

Did you change the fuel filter when you put the new pump in?

OP
OP
M

mtimko57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I removed about 15 gallons of fuel and there was still quite a bit in there (started off with 7/8 tank). When I installed the tank back in I dumped about 5 more gallons back in there. The fuel filter was replaced in December when I just started throwing parts at it.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did the ignition tests, did you do a spark test at the distributor coil terminal? And did you use a Delco cap? Tools needed- scanner, spark tester, multimeter, test light, fuel pressure guage with long hose.Do you have these? Are any codes set? Any pops or backfires.
Try cycling the key to on/off 3 times before you crank it. Next try rotating coil wire 90 degrees while pushing into distributor. Did you replace the wiring connector at the fuel pump, most pumps come with them.
Lastly- are you trying to run it with 2 year old gas?

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be way off but does this vehicle have that 'spider' fuel injection? That system needs I think it was like 60 psi fuel pressure to operate. A year or two ago a friend had this issue, the new fuel pump, a Delphi would not develop the needed minimum pressure. I returned it to Napa and got a replacement, also a Delphi and tested that one in the tank before reinstalling the tank. That pump did the job. Just because a fuel pump is newish doesn't mean it is good to go.

OP
OP
M

mtimko57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you did the ignition tests, did you do a spark test at the distributor coil terminal? And did you use a Delco cap? Tools needed- scanner, spark tester, multimeter, test light, fuel pressure guage with long hose.Do you have these? Are any codes set? Any pops or backfires.
Try cycling the key to on/off 3 times before you crank it. Next try rotating coil wire 90 degrees while pushing into distributor. Did you replace the wiring connector at the fuel pump, most pumps come with them.
Lastly- are you trying to run it with 2 year old gas?

Yes I got good spark. Not sure the brand of the cap, picked it up back in November. I need to get a fuel pressure gage and give that a test. No codes are coming up. No pops or backfires.

HAHA no not 2 year old gas, the gas probably isn't the greatest right now but it's from November

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e