Copper&Black's Complete Custom Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, i did my hole dash with that vynal paint.. great stuff..

OP
OP
Copper&Black

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit the dash with black. There are a couple areas where the stock vinyl paint was peeling up a bit so I did my best to peel what was loose and then painted it. I think it came out nice.

10ba379b.jpg

a1ebc860.jpg

c5f86198.jpg

200febab.jpg

640aaf81.jpg

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
what kind of dye are you using??

oh and btw, looks good! lol. i like the factory textured look instead of the gaudy ass smooth fiberglass crap.. but thats me.

OP
OP
Copper&Black

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of dye are you using??

oh and btw, looks good! lol. i like the factory textured look instead of the gaudy ass smooth fiberglass crap.. but thats me.

SEM Vinyl Paint, in Satin Black. It's good stuff.

I'm not the biggest fan of the smooth faberglass look either but it had to be done on the center console pieces I did. Once they have been hit with the single stage flat black I have, they will look perfectly at home next to all the black leather.

Tomorrow I will be lightly sanding a few spots where the stock vinyl paint was peeling up. It left some very fine peaks in the paint that are noticeablein the right light. I plan to just knock those down with some very light spot sanding and hit it all with another coat of black.

Another pic of the dash I had...

188782fd.jpg

Last edited:

solored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really good! I might have to do that to my dash, as I am having the same problem as you where with the peeling. Pretty easy to pop that piece off?

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had the peeling also.. acitone will take all the factory vynal off and leave a nice smooth surface. use grease remover to prep.. thats what i did and it is flawless..

OP
OP
Copper&Black

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

That looks really good! I might have to do that to my dash, as I am having the same problem as you where with the peeling. Pretty easy to pop that piece off?

Thanks, No it's not hard to take out. There are two screws on each side of the dash and a bunch surrounding the cluster/radio area. The only area that might make you scratch your head is the passenger side air bag area. You need to reach in the passenger A/C ducts and pull each out. That will expose the last two screws, one at the bottom of each air duct opening. But then you will be saying WTF why isn't this thing coming out. Look inside each passenger a/c duct hole up where the passenger bar clips in. Depress the outer most sides of these bar clips and pull the bar forward. Once the bar is out gently pull the dash straight out.

i had the peeling also.. acitone will take all the factory vynal off and leave a nice smooth surface. use grease remover to prep.. thats what i did and it is flawless..

Good Idea, did the acetone hurt the plastic any? I would imagine if you are a little too liberal with the acetone you would lose some of the texture once the acetone starts eating and soften up the plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny