Cluster swspped. Battery light on??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had gotten a free cluster from a friend. I then had another buddy rebuild it with new motors, led lights and fix then PRNDL SCREEN. Low mileage unit.

My original cluster was jacked up. Dimmed out spots and prndl not working. Airbag light cause I broke the clockspring earlier in the year when I installed gearbox. CEL on cause the new Delphi knock sensors and new SMP harness throwing off a low voltage sensor 2 code! This irritated me!! Will get to it soon. And my oil pressure gauge was also pegged before. I ordered both new AC Delco cam and oil pressure switches when I did knock sensor job. Oil pressure read well the first month.

So with new cluster my battery light is on?? What gives??? The guy asked me if the truck had steering wheel controls which it does to program some setting into the cluster.

Attachments

• 20210811_211809.jpg
    20210811_211809.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my answer as to why light is on. 03-04 clusters appear to be internally different compared to 05-06 clusters. Something to do with the battery circuit and a function called State of Health. Now I'm curious if anyone knows if this 03-04 cluster can be easily program to work correctly in my 05 and the battery light work correctly as the original 05 cluster. Otherwise this cluster getting sold and I will just have my 05 cluster rebuilt.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your 2005 should have RVC (Regulated Voltage Control); that may be the difference with the battery light.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Found my answer as to why light is on. 03-04 clusters appear to be internally different compared to 05-06 clusters. Something to do with the battery circuit and a function called State of Health. Now I'm curious if anyone knows if this 03-04 cluster can be easily program to work correctly in my 05 and the battery light work correctly as the original 05 cluster. Otherwise this cluster getting sold and I will just have my 05 cluster rebuilt.
Never knew this. Good to know.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I never understood but when I ordered my new dash cluster, from Digital Dash, they wanted to know that. It has to do with being something like a sophisticated voltage regulator set up that senses draw and charging in a more finite fashion. I think?

Regulated voltage control (RVC) regulates the generator's output voltage, based mainly on estimated battery temperature and battery state-of-charge (SOC). The main benefits of this system are: improved fuel economy, extended battery life, extended lamp life and extended switch life.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I never understood but when I ordered my new dash cluster, from Digital Dash, they wanted to know that. It has to do with being something like a sophisticated voltage regulator set up that senses draw and charging in a more finite fashion. I think?

Regulated voltage control (RVC) regulates the generator's output voltage, based mainly on estimated battery temperature and battery state-of-charge (SOC). The main benefits of this system are: improved fuel economy, extended battery life, extended lamp life and extended switch life.
......And more things to give you problems when it's not working right. Glad I don't have it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree but I have had no problems and when I did the recent new 160 amp alternator and new Interstate AGM battery, I also did a moderated form of the Big 3 and that system was adapted to the Big 3. I must also admit, I did not understand it all but my tech friend does understand it all and all works flawlessly now.