Clunk in rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fidia11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm noticing a fairly loud clunk in the rear end of my hoe! When I come to a stop the last couple seconds of the stop it clunks,( when the brakes fully engage and stop the vehicle) it doesn't clunk as bad when taking off from a stop. I have all new ujoints and I pulled the cover and replaced fluid in the rear end. The old fluid was quite dirty and had significant metal shavings in the fluid but I saw no damage to any of the gears. If you put the truck in neutral when stopping, there is no clunk, that ruled out brakes. So my question would be, its a 2 door 4x4 so finding a rear end has been a problem, are there any other rear ends that will just bolt on, or should I look at doing a rebuild on the differential, I would rather swap it out but the cheapest used one I found was 550 bucks and I just can't see spending that kind of money on a used rear end.any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is NOT what you want to hear, but I had the same clunking symptoms on mine. I thought it was the suspension. Luckily this was before my extended warranty ran out. So I take it to the dealer and tell them what its doing. I told them to go ahead and go thru the whole truck tooth and nail since the warranty was almost up. I got a call the next day saying that my rear end was shot. I needed new pinion bearings and new gears and everything. It was over 2 grand in repairs. The warranty people had to end up paying for all of it though. I am sure if the dealer charged that much, you could get a local shop to rebuild it for almost half that.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might be as simple as the slip yoke needs to be greased. Start there, pull the driveshaft out and grease up teh spline and put it back in and see if that helps.

OP
OP
F

fidia11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I pulled the yolk last night and greased her up...what pita! Looks like I was the first person to ever pull the yolk. Anyway, as I suspected, the clunk is still there.:emotions122:

I'm quite convinced that the rear end is needing to be replaced....Can anyone out there tell me if the rear end on a 95 2 door Tahoe is the same as any other chevy truck/tahoe/burbon or am I going to have to hunt down the same one???

As far as I can tell it's the stock rear end, I looked all over the rear axle and cant find any tags of any kind to verifiy what it is.....

Thanks again.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Most likely the the slip yolk at the transmission - fill the splines with grease...

As far as your rear end replacement, I'm not 100% sure, but should be able to pull a 10bolt rear from any OBS 4x4. As ScottyBoy stated above, if you have to get the rear end rebuilt (new axles, bearings/seals, gears, diff), expect to pay between $1-2k. If your axles are in good shape, you'll come out about $4-500 cheaper. I recently had mine rebuilt (new Yukon axles, Detroit Truetrac, and all new bearings and seals) and walked away just under $1900 lighter in the wallet.

The only other issue with pulling a rear from the yard is matching the gears up what you have...

OP
OP
F

fidia11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, well thanks for the info guys,i really appreciate it. Hope I can get this taken care of soon, I'm dying to make this my everyday driver.

OP
OP
F

fidia11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Turns out I had a bad Trans mount on the Transfer case, I swapped cases last weekend and the Clunk is gone....the mount was pretty cheap and only took a couple hours to do the whole swap.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah i was gonna say,a "clunk" really don't mean a bad/failing rear end.

Normally when you have a bad rear or a rear end that is in need of attention,you will get a growling noise/vibration while @ highway speeds.The vibration/noise will hum up and down while cruising.I had to find this out the hard way.... Depending on the severity of the vibration/noise is directly associated with the condition of your rear end.