Clunk from back of Tahoe While Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My 2006 Tahoe 2wd is starting to experience a clunk while driving. At first I thought it was a loose shock since I just replaced them but I checked last night and they seem fine. It only happens while driving over dips or bumps in the road. While driving on a smooth surface there is no clunking noise. Could this be the slip yoke? I jacked up the back end and I couldn't find anything loose by shaking or moving things. If it was the diff wouldn't I hear that sound consistently? I have noticed before the clunking happened I would get a slight jerk when stepping on the gas every now and then but its sporadic. Any tips on how on diagnose this?

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update* Last night I pulled out the spare and rechecked the shock bolts, the back ones were not loose but I was able to tighten them down just a little bit more. I drove the Tahoe to the office this morning and it seems better but I still heard the thunking sound at least twice. I bought Monroe replacement shocks 2 months ago, could they be the issue? I jacked the back end up and turned the wheels and checked the drive shave but there is no play or anything I can tell out of the ordinary. I heard no sounds when turning the wheels from the differential. Exhaust hangers seem ok and the springs are in position, nothing out of the ordinary there. All the bushings in that area seem fine, no rot and I did not see any signs of metal rubbing. I am stumped.

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know mine does it too but only when I brake hard then when I pull off fills like something slides back

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had something similar that was driving me nuts. I went so far as to have someone drive slowly in my yard at work, while i hung out the back upside down. In the end, it was the shock itself. something internally had blown out. there was no indication on the exterior of the shock. but swapped out both rears and problem resolved.

Reaction score
I am still chasing the same issue. I have done sway bar links, shocks, I have checked the rear, the spare, you name it. Mine does it over certain bumps, and also sometimes when I let off the brakes and begin to accelerate from a stop. If I find it, I will post. If you find it, please share. I've been chasing it for years.

Stick

Reaction score
Brakes. Caliper bushings or under drum issue, whichever it may be on that. Working at a shop there was a van i drove regularly that did that. Drove me nuts but it ended up being the caliper bushing. Stuff a pry bar in there and wiggle it around, you shouldn't be able to...

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% it's coming from the rear? I had my front u joint making noises and by listening to it inside and outside I could swear it was the rear end. (I replaced the rear u joint 1 month prior)

Ended up being the front one but the sound traveled through the drive shaft and made it sound like the rear.

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update here. I went through and re tightened the bolts on the shocks with my torque wrench and they definitely had some room to go. So far it seems to have cleared up the issue. Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts