Clicking noise behind the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdgd711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe and just recently it has started making a constant clicking noise that from what I can tell is coming from behind the dash. My first thought was that it was the factory sub, but I pulled the cupholders out and disconnected the main harness running back to the amp and that wasn't it. Then I thought it might be the A/C, but even when I turn the fan completely off it's still there. I'm still not convinced that it's not the A/C though. I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem before I start tearing the dash apart. Thanks in advance for the help.

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mines doing the same thing, when I put recirculation on, it clicks like crazy, there is a procedure you can do by pulling the fuse out and doing some sort of reset......

Sparkstech - GM-Trucks forum: It's always worth a shot, doesn't cost anything to try. Remove the HVAC1 fuse in the left fuse panel and the Radio fuse in the under hood fuse panel. Let everything power down for quite a while. Reinstall fuses and turn the key on, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING for 1 minute. Shut the key off, open and close the door and wait another minute or so. Then see what happens. It sounds more like you need an actuator, the clicking sounds like stripped gears but I'm not there to hear it, it's possible to hear a noise if they over run and can be reset. Good luck.

and when that didn't work:

Sparkstech - GM-Trucks forum: I didn't want to type all this cause I know I have already done it here before, but I can't find it so I'll do it again. Engage emergency brake, turn key on, shift into lo, pull instrument cluster/radio bezel off. Remove the trim piece at both side panels (where the fuse box is on the driver side same on opposite side), remove both of the passenger hvac vents on both sides of the handle in the dash. Remove the A pillar moldings (that is the trim on either side of the windshield going from roof to dash) they just pull off but they might be tight. Inside the vents that you just removed there are release tabs on the sides of the pull handle, push in the tabs and pull off the handle. Remove the panel between the windshield and the dash pad (be careful with that ambient light sensor in the middle pull the panel up slightly and remove any connectors before yanking it out) Then all that is left are the screws, I don't remember how many off hand. There should be 2 on the sides under those covers (the fuse box cover and the same one on the right side), then there is like 4 or 5 more around the part where the instrument cluster bezel was and a few more on the passenger side inside the vent holes I think. Then pull it all out Don't worry it's not heavy at all it's a one person job not like the old dashes. It looks like alot but it's really not that bad, I have the whole deal down to about five minutes, if it takes much longer than a half hour to get it off there I'd be surprised.
Good luck to ya.

Good luck, haven't done it yet, but this summer I plan on doing it and will put up a write up as this may be a problem for all sooner or later.....

Aaron

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My in-laws 03 does the same type of thing. It sounds like a bomb is counting down. We have narrowed it down to something with the a/c so the blend door sounds right.

Theirs doesn't make the clicking noise all the time but it sure is annoying when it does click!

haldang68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Clicking noise behind dash with a/c on.

mines doing the same thing, when I put recirculation on, it clicks like crazy, there is a procedure you can do by pulling the fuse out and doing some sort of reset......

and when that didn't work:

Good luck, haven't done it yet, but this summer I plan on doing it and will put up a write up as this may be a problem for all sooner or later.....

Aaron

I have a 2003 Tahoe LT with the electronic hvac controls. My question is there only one blend door actuator behind the dashboard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz