CK805 Denali Wheels - refinishing chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Heya. My Denali has a set of the optional chrome 20" "CK805" wheels on it. I'll be needing new tires sometime this summer and figured it would be worth asking some questions before I head to a tire shop.

Wheels in question look like this and are chrome-plated:

picture.php

First issue -- I was losing air back when I first bought the truck in January. The tire shop said it was calcium buildup on the inside of a wheel. They cleaned the buildup, slathered some sealant on the inside rim, and it's been fine ever since.

Apparently that's just an issue with chromed GM wheels, or so they said. Do I need to do anything about it, other than requesting they clean/seal the rims before mounting the new tires?

Second -- the chrome on one of my wheels is peeling off the barrel (in large sheets) and inside the bores where the lug nuts go. When mounted on the truck it looks fine, but I do wonder if I need to get the wheel refinished to prevent longer-term damage.

It'd almost be cheaper/easier to buy a set of take-off wheels from a newer Denali/Tahoe LTZ with good tires when the time comes, but I kinda like what I have, too.

Thoughts?

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that truck looks familiar lol......

When I put new tires on mine my buddy took a sanding disc to the inner lip on all the wheels before the new ones went on. I've had an issue losing air in 2 of my tires but that was because of 2 bad valve cores....

My inner barrels on 3 of my four wheels have flaked off as well-been that way since I bought it 4 years ago. The faces are perfect and have not flaked any more. Its kind of annoying but I live with it cuz I like them. When its time I'll be doing a set of 15' OEM 22's....but for now I'm good.

OP
OP
Brake_L8

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Hah, I just Google Image'd the photo :p

Good to know on both the flaking and sanding of the inner rim. I'll just let it be.

Should I be replacing the TPMS sensors while I have the wheel/tire pulled apart?

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah, I just Google Image'd the photo :p

Good to know on both the flaking and sanding of the inner rim. I'll just let it be.

Should I be replacing the TPMS sensors while I have the wheel/tire pulled apart?

Too funny cuz that pic is in my album.......I've replaced 2 of mine already-if it were me-I'd just pick up 4 new ones while you have the wheels off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada